Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time-distance diagram Excel

5 replies [Last post]
Ahmed KHR
User offline. Last seen 6 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear planners;

I need help to prepare time-distance diagram schedule on excel by automatic way,
So if anybody have an experience to prepare this kind of schedules using formulas or macro please share.

Your help will be appreciated.

Ahmed

Replies

Hubert Geier
User offline. Last seen 7 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS

Split tasks in task per line mode:

This leads to creation of many section based tasks simply that you display on the same line reflecting different conditions from the ROW and need to be linked. The view is not a march chart, so graphically you will have no connection to site constraints like environmental restrictions, crossing, elevation and land aquisition. This can be only displayed in march charts, which TILOS is using.

TILOS allows a realsitic modelling of the production rates with location based profiles without increasing number of tasks. This reduces planning efforts and garanties realistic planning data and helps so to plan by not violanting site constraints.

Peter Clarke
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS

I agree with Mike's comment that although you can produce good time chainage charts using Excel, it is much better to get some dedicated time chainage software. Before dedicated software was available, I spent many years producing time chainage charts in Excel, the main disadvantages are that:

1. Holidays are not easy to deal with
  2. It is very slow work entering the activities and logic
  3. Updating and making logic changes can be a real pain

I can recommend a piece of excellant software, called TimeChainage. It is much cheaper than the competition and makes producing a time chainage plan very easy. I produce this software so I am biased.

If you are interested in TimeChainage, then check out the website www.pclarke.co.uk

Regards

Peter Clarke

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Ahmed

You will be interested to know that Powerproject v 12 now has a button that creates Time-Distance graphs directly from the Task Per Line mode programmes.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Ahmed KHR
User offline. Last seen 6 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Thank you Mike for you answer, its so helpfull

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Ahmed

It is very easy to set up a simple time - chainage chart using X - Y graphs in excell - although you will get a better result from Lotus 123.

You don't need formula's or macros - just the chainage production range in X and the start and end dates in Y - These are best expressed as week numbers.

You can even build some sort of logic between the task lines by using a + link to another cell.

Just use your imagination and it will all come together.

It is however of very limited value because it will not display any criticality and there will be no calendar facility.

Best get the software and do it properly.

I have achieved very good time line programmes in PowerProject using "Task per Line" mode - the last one was a 500 km pipeline up the west coast of India - including over a range of mountains.

Best regards

Mike Testro