Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

planner beginner

4 replies [Last post]
Amadou Foyo
User offline. Last seen 14 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi there!

I would like to know if any of you guys has an opportunity for a beggining planner. I just complete a training on Primavera P6 in Paris in October 2009. Since then I have been jobhunting but I am struggling to get a job with this financial crisis...do any of you guys have any tips to give me?

thanks in advance

regards

Amadou Foyo

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Amadou,

Here is some information that I received this morning that will boost your job search:

"
AB Think Tank votes 9-0 against job cuts in 2010
by Anil BhoyrulThis email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it on Thursday, 21 January 2010
The Arabian Business Think Tank (ABTT) has voted 9-0 against further job cuts in 2010 as the Gulf region looks to rebound from the impact of the global downturn, which saw thousands of employees laid off.

The ABTT panel – comprising experts from sectors including media, construction, finance, property – all said they would make “no further cuts” this year.

Two members of the panel went as far as to say they would actually begin hiring again in 2010, while other panelists also admitted they had “over cut” in 2009 to get rid of unwanted staff.

"

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Amadou

The most important thing is your depth of experience in Building Works.

If you can build it you can plan it - particularly if you can work the software.

Good luck with P6 - you are going to need it.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Amadou,

You can do the following as well:

1. Identify the location that you want to work at.
2. Check the papers for new projects. New projects need new staff.
3. Read the Trade Magazines. If you are in Construction, then read the Construction Magazine. The Contractors and consultants, and developers will have their web sites shown in these magazines. You can log in and search for posted vacancies. Or you can send then direct letters.
4. Word of Mouth. This is the best source for finding a job. If you are a recent graduate, ask your professors to inquire with their connections. You need to tap into the Senior Managers generation. These are the decision makers with the hire and fire authorities.

Good luck,

With kind regards,

Samer
D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Good for you. There are just so many ways to land a planning job. You can have an agent hunt a post for you. Tidy up your resume and cover letter, make sure you mention your strengths that are leading to planning job. In your cover letter,mention that you would like to start a job in planning, willing to be trained and show your enthusiasm. However, you’d probably start as junior planning engineer. Register to jobhunting sites like monster, totaljobs, naukri, etc. There are few jobs for plannign but who knows, there might be some companies willing to give some starters with enthusiasm like you.

good luck!