Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Salary

26 replies [Last post]
rabbani wgl
User offline. Last seen 15 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Gentlemen,

Can anyone advise me how much a Planning Engineer with 13 years of experince in Building Works can demand in Dubai based on the living expenses involved overe there. All suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

Rabbani

Replies

Ben Hall
User offline. Last seen 15 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Clive,

Thanks alot I will ask her!

Regards
Ben Hall
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
suggest you e mail Gwen Blair
She will be able to advise I am sure
Ben Hall
Ronald,

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it, I am still with the same company though I want to negotiate a new/greater salary. I have been with the Oil & Gas company for 17 months and have gained a great deal of experience planning and project management.

Its really hard finding Salary infomation for planners, in your opinion what is someone worth with this experience??

Let me know

Regards
Ben Hall
Ronald Romero
User offline. Last seen 37 weeks 1 hour ago. Offline
Ben,

To tell you frankly mate I dont know. But when i negiotate for salary I take into consideration the cost of living in that area and my expected income. The oil and gas is a risky bussiness and sometimes give good salary . Probably it depends a lot on the company your apllying to and the number of applicants interested. That when economics come in the supply and demand. And i think in the Oil and Gas industry there are only few tough guys who can handle the pressure that the job requires.

Regards
Ben Hall
Gents,

Can anyone advise me how much a Project Planner with 17 months experince in Oil & Gas industry can demand in Australia, or anywhere else in the world for that matter? All suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

Regards
Ben Hall
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
nATIONALITY, I believe.

If u dont have ability or education, u wont to be there on job for a long.

Ability and education is a must. What drives is always, NATIONALITY!!
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Profits drive salaries, but what drives the differences between peoples salaries?

Is it ability, education or nationality? or is it something else?
DATTATREYA PADHARTHI
User offline. Last seen 5 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Thats true, requirements of a western expat are more than a developing county national.

So u can argue that one should limit his/her expenses, but salaries are governed by employers/profits & i am sorry to state that many developing nations employees stay in not so hospitable conditions (4~6 or even more people sharing an apartment)even in UK & Europe & send back money to their home country where the cost of living is significatly less.

Over a period of time this trend displaces the native employees from their work & u end up with social tensions. Donot forget that the present developing countries will face same challenge from the underdeveloped countries in future. This a an unavoidable cycle.

Bottomline "Profits drive the salaries".
Cheers
Datta
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
But the thing is y an developed country person shud get more salary, even if expenses are more or less same than in an developing country.

Even, the salary will dictate the cost of living in any city. A person with western passport will get more salary bcoz he / she wants to stay in a Bunglow rather than any african / asian national who wud stay in a shared apartment on the outskirts.

And y an european or USA citizen is supposed to pay more bills? because he wud like to purchase a bunglow with all facilities with a 4 x 4 at the age of 27 while other nationals .............................

Since this thread relates to GCC countries, i m referring to the same. U go to UK, u may get the same salary, weather u r from UK, UGANDA or pakistan or indonesia.

It all depends where u r working now and which nationality u belong.

Thats the fact of life and u have to accept it as on today.

Cheers,
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Maybe it has alot to do with the relative cost of living of each person back home.

I’m not saying it’s right, but someone living in for example - Europe or the USA, will need alot more money to pay the bills back home than someone living in many other countries.

If you forget the total salary and work out how much each person will have left in his pocket at the end of the month when all his bills are paid and what that will buy back home, you might find out that someone from a developing country is relatively better off despite being paid less.
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
DATTATREYA PADHARTHI
Thats True,

Get a Western Passport & get the salaries.

But now a days some companies pay equal to all irrespective of the country.(Surprising but true)

Cheers
Dattatreya
Abhijit Kale
User offline. Last seen 5 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Nice answer Clive,
Cheers
Abhijit
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
agree

Why is this so????????????????????

I’m heart borken!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it is really sad that this kind of incident happen.
Jerome Atkin
User offline. Last seen 4 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Where you come from is a big factor in how much you get paid.
If you are from Europe you will be paid higher than someone from the Asia.
Sad but true.
DATTATREYA PADHARTHI
Salaries in UAE depened on a) Discipline b) Experience & the passport. Do not forget that there is a variation of 2.5 ~4 times between western expat & professionals from developing countries.

Cheers
Clive Randall
Why sad

Imagine you come from India, your daily needs are met at a low cost, in the west this base is say 10 times more

Ditto housing

Should your salary reflect the cost of living in your home country and the standard therof

If the employer wishes to recruit all his staff from India he will make as substantial saving, so why does he not do this

Equally if the employee from India wishes to ask for more money he is more than able to reject a job with a lower salary

Why is it that developing countries employ highly paid staff when they can get local staff a great deal cheaper.

I had a planning engineer from the philipines who was earning about 6000 us$ per month I will not tell you the year. He had in a matter of 2 years saved enough money to buy a very large farm or at least place a deposit on it and suggested to me that he would clear the debt in 5 years. The house he built was enormous. Equally a freind of mine from India had bought a beach villa in Goa.

I think the reality is that we work overseas as expats because we can save money and look forward to a better future. Employers set salaries to encourage staff to leave their home. Disparity is a result of our actions in accepting the disparity as much as it is employers setting the salaries at different levels.

So Charlie dont be sad Im sure in base country terms you are as well paid as other staff on a base country comparison.

I have another Indian freind who has a US passport works for a US company and gets paid a US salary, the answer is simple stop whining and get the passport,however remember, the grass may not be as green as you think.
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
but if we use USD, we’d have to change it every 3 days as teh value dives

/looks at savings in HKD >.<

btw, I have noting substantive to add, I’ve never worked in the M-East.

Ask for lots, accept slightly less... Check teh tax situation
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Can we have a common dollar
like USD very hard to convert
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Ask the Your question is very simple you find this items in many of sources.
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Not less than 15000 DHS.
Good Luck
rabbani wgl
User offline. Last seen 15 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Dana. sensible answer. I had more or less the same figure in my mind looking into the high cost of living in Dubai.

Regards,
Rabbani
Dana Qandah
User offline. Last seen 14 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Not less than 13000 Dirhams
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Im a wedding planner how much is that worth
Ha ha
What is a dynamic fluid range something to do with Bennooli (SP)
Oscar
Clive Randall
Charlie
Thought it might have something to do with your ability and experience but I stand corrected.
Clive
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Rabbani,

It is dynamic, fluid range from 3,750 AED to 20,000++ AED

all this depends on the company and your destiny

Cheers,

Charlie