Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

AI - The Future?

3 replies [Last post]
Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 15 hours ago. Offline

Hi, (conversation in a Commercial department on a very large RC construction site). So I was passing the boss's door when I got the call. Eh Peter you helped me with the pivot tables in excel so you must be good with computers. I read this article in a magazine in the business lounge on my last holiday which said, we (commercial) would be redundant in 10 years time due to something called AI and ChatGPT-4. That got my attention as I need to make director's post before then! So I thought we should apply it to our Delay and Disruption Claims and present a paper to the Board to gain a bit of kudos. I'm ok with the delay process - the planners are processing the EWN/NoD's and agreeing the individual activity EoT's as we go and we will wrap them into some overall numbers by some process in a few years time. The disruption claims are a bit more problematic and I thnk we should start with a PEE assessment. Ok I said, whats that? You need to get out more and get on a company course on Productivity, Effectiveness and Efficiency. Well, we have all this information in databases so it should be easy for you to put them all together and produce some numbers I can use to back up the claims. Which information exactly boss?

1. Site labour allocation sheets for every gang 2. BoM/PO's 3. Agreed measurement take offs/BoQ's 4. Stocktakes and write offs 5. Rebar bending Schedules 6. Site Quality System (agreed ITP's, rework, defects and NC rectification records) 7 Staff salaries and attendance 8 Project Progress and Commercial reports 9 CEMAR 10 TQ's +++++

As we have just finished our last foundation pour (he must have actually read the progress report this month), I was thinking a comparison of tender v actual productivity rates would be an excellent start together with an efficiency review of different foundation pour sizes (say ,100 m3, 100 - 250 m3, 250- 500 m3, 500 - 800 m3, >800 m3)

Tender rate categories - formwork ground beams, bases, s/s slabs, beams, columns, walls, re-use, make and break. Rebar density - 150, 250, 350 kg/m3. Concrete pouring - foundations, superstructure.

So can AI automate this process and make me redundant?

Replies

Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 15 hours ago. Offline

THanks Alex,

will look again for measures of efficiency and effectiveness in the literature.

Peter

Alex Lyaschenko
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Peter, I have good news for you. 
What you are asking already exist for decades and is supported by AI :) 

a) Volume-based scheduling (inc. uncertainties) 

b) corporate reference books

c) skills (pool of resources) and team allocation (incl. shifts and multi resources) 

d) Resource productivity (inc. uncertainties)

e) Resecure-constrained scheduling (with AI algorithms) 

These are all methods under the ‘Success Driven Project Management’ methodology supported by Spider Project. 

Regards,

Alex Lyaschenko

Alex Lyaschenko
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Peter, I have good news for you. 
What you are asking already exist for decades and is supported by AI :) 

a) Volume-based scheduling (inc. uncertainties) 

b) corporate reference books

c) skills (pool of resources) and team allocation (incl. shifts and multi resources) 

d) Resource productivity (inc. uncertainties)

e) Resecure-constrained scheduling (with AI algorithms) 

These are all methods under the ‘Success Driven Project Management’ methodology supported by Spider Project. 

Regards,

Alex Lyaschenko