Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Kinley Consulting Announces Top 5 Project Management Trends for 2012

6 replies [Last post]
Colin Peters
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Guys,

Here are the top project management trends that we're seeing for 2012  http://bit.ly/zPeUCA

I'd be interested to hear from you what you think they are.

Colin

Replies

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Colin wrote:

"Thanks for your insight, which I must say, is always an interesting read."

Aren't you nice! Thanks!

(I think.  "Interesting" can be a very interesting adjective...)  ;-)

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Colin Peters
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Steve the Bajan,

Very good point and congratualtions on spotting the deliberate omission and mistake :-)

I've now changed it adding the word "only" to reflect the original intent. The suggestion is that rather than just mange by the triple constraint, there will are other factors e.g. project value being the point.

"It will take a while for Project Management Offices (PMOs) to fully embrace the concept of ‘project value’ but the days of managing only by the triple constraint will soon be over."

You are also correct that it should be Scope and not Quality and that has been changed as well.

Thanks for your insight, which I must say, is always an interesting read.

Cheers,

Colin

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Colin, I liked seeing #4 on your list:

"4. Project teams will begin to better define project ‘value’ "

I've been waiting for this to happen for about a dozen years, since my book was published -- though I'm pessimistic it will happen until PMI starts including the word "investment" in its definitions of projects and programs. 

But then came a strange sentence:

"It will take a while for Project Management Offices (PMOs) to fully embrace the concept of ‘project value’ but the days of managing by the triple constraint will soon be over."

I honestly don't know what that means. Every project is, and always will be, circumscribed by a triple constraint triangle:

1. The SCOPE side generates the project "value".
  2. The TIME side modifies the value of the SCOPE, i.e., time is money.
  3. The COST side is what is invested to get the value.

Not to manage by "the triple constraint triangle" would mean, it seems to me, be not to manage the parameters of the investment in integration.

“The triple constraint of time, cost and quality will remain important, and the project tools on the market will have to adapt to incorporate alternative ways of measuring success.”

Actually, it's time, cost and scope (quality is a subset of scope -- other things than quality can generate value, and use time and money).  And they don't have to incorporate alternative ways -- they just have to start understanding the ways that are already there in the Total Project Control approach to the triple constraint triangle.  See the discussion with Tanveer in the Planning, Scheduling & Programming forum and the articles I mentioned.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 46 weeks ago. Offline

Mike - very funny!

I thought 'Survival' was standard part of the Project Managers job description :-)

Emily

Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 46 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Colin,

We've just released ours and they very different http://bit.ly/wyH5am

Interesting stuff.

Emily

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Colin

You missed the topmost priority for any company in 2012 - Survival.

Best regards

Mike Testro