Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Construction methodology for excavation & pilling on a hilly Terrain

7 replies [Last post]
Sankar Vijayan
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear All,

I require your valuable suggestion for this topic

We are going to construct a high rise building on a hilly Terrain.The Risk associated with the  project is high.The excavation & pilling  has to be done on a hilly area (with steep slope).For structural stability the structural consultant choose pile foundation even though the soil is hard strata .Approximate depth of excavation is 25 m & Pile dia varies from 600 -1200.What type of piling to be done .Can any rig stand on this steep terrain.What are the risks to be mitigated.How the excavation to be done there is a chance of land slides.

Regards

Sankar

Replies

Sankar Vijayan

Thank you sir for your valuable suggestions.We will have detailed meeting with our structural engineers soon so that i can put forward all these methods .Regarding the other project risks especially while tendering ,can you share some of thse risks (to be considered while costing)so that we shouldnt end up with loss after quoting such risky projects

Thanks & Regards

Sankar Vijayan

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Sankar

My reference to demolishing secant piling was for the temporary cantilevered piles that are holding up the higher platforms.

The haul road would have to be a hairpin traverse across the slope - no mean feat of engineering in itself.

Consider the option of cutting back to the batter and the bottom formation and stabilising the slopes with pinned back reinforced grout.

It is best to use an earthfill piling platform if at all possible but if the loose end cannot be restrained by natural repose or support piling then a space frame platform may be the best option.

You really need the input from a qualified strucrural engineer so I suggest you take this problem in that direction.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Sankar Vijayan

Dear sir,

The main Problem with this project is Logistics .How the rig reach there .What type of rig iis it?One way is prepare haul road .You have any experiance in such project.And also you mentioned that as we go up demolish temperory pile (whether it is secant pile).In this case secent pile act a permanent retention system and also can you please give some brief explanation regarding Temperory Pile Platform formed by braced scaffolding work

Regards

Sankar

Mike Testro

Hi Sankar

Two other methods are worth considering.

1.  Temporary piling platforms formed by braced scaffolding falsework.

2.  Excavated battered slope stabilisation using pinned reinforced sprayed grout.

Don't forget - always get the design and methods checked by a qualified strucrural engineer before chosing the best method.

Best regards

Mike testro

Sankar Vijayan

Dear Sir,

Thank you Very much for your Valuable Suggestions .As a fresher in this field this information is very much useful to me.I am discussing the scenario & methodology you mentioned with our Planning deparment.Hoping your assistance & attention always.

Thanks & Regards

Sankar

Mike Testro

Hi Sankar

With the possibility of landslides you must either use a battered deep excavation beyond the natural angle of repose of the soil - this depends on the size of your site.

Or you can use a series of retaining wall to hold back the excavated surface to create a level piling platform.

Always start from the bottom and work upwards.

The retaining walls could be steel sheet piling with earth anchors and walings or conctete using secant piling.

I would suggest secant piling as the same rig can be used for this and the structural piles.

Remember that a secant pile is not structurally sound until it has its insitu ring beam constructed and cured.

If the thin white line on your drawing is the natural gound level then at the level of the 3rd flight of stair there is a relatively flat profile which can be made level by cut and fill.

From this you can drive the lower level piles over to the end of the lift shaft using bilnd boring to reach the level of top of the structure support piles and cantilevered retaining piles up to the next two levels. - Stair 5.

Using backfill you now create your second platform and re do the same process up to stair 9.

When you have all your piles in place you can start the excavation to the formation profile within the retaining walls breaking out the temporary suppourt piles as you go.

All of this has to be designed by a qualified structural engineer.

The planning problems are quite tricky especially as you have to allow for curing times of the ring beams and vertical haul roads for the rig access.

Best regards

Mike Testro

J Karthik Kumer
User offline. Last seen 12 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Dear sankar vijayan,

i am karthik from chennai, could u explan what is manhour for excavation, pcc, rcc, backfilling other civil works,

1unit excavation = (manhour) how many manhour

like that above mentioned all, pls explain

j.karthik

nscl

use private message service