Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How many people should you get informations from for up too 1000 activities

2 replies [Last post]
BRAVE G
User offline. Last seen 6 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

Hi guys i'm embarking on updating up to 1000 activities. I will have to get the update myself this is company policy. I know for sure that when i get to site i'll be requesting info from the site supervisor and site manager......... who else do u think i've omiited????????????????????? It is a water project. please helpppp????? Will those two give me info i need.

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Geoff

The first thing you must do is walk the site with a junior engineer and ask questions all the time - why Junior? - because he/she will tell you what you need to know not what someone more senior will want to hide.

Remember that everything deployed on the works you should visualise as having a big flashing $ sign attached to it and a big clock ticking.

And don't forget to add design development and information flow to Rafael's excellent list.

Best regards

Mike T.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 53 min ago. Offline

As you said it depends on your company policy how the data is going to be collected but essentially every crew supervisor is the one who will be able to tell exact resource assignments, exact activity start day and a better estimate of remaining work and its remaining duration.

Consider procurement activities a special case whose supervisor is the head of procurement department or in some cases the Project Manager, this information you can get it through an updated procurement log.

The PM shall tell you about additional activities due to additional work orders, or changes in plans, delay events among others. If you do not include this in your updates your updates are worth absolute zero even when scientists insists nothing can reach absolute zero temperature.

The greatest omission of all are delaying events the PM hope to solve in the future but by omitting these in your report you are missing the common requirement to timely inform of delays so the Owner can take corrective action. Missing this requirement to inform can be very costly. Frequently there are specific contractual requirements about this as merely incorporating the event on the CPM is not enough, just make sure you do your part with regard to the CPM and let the PM worry about the other requirements.

Delaying events that already have started but not finished yet shall be included with anote saying these have not finished yet but that as of this update they reflect an actual delay. You must start informing the delays at the start not at the end.