Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Productivity rate for Embankment Fill

9 replies [Last post]
Gobinath Narayana...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hai friends anybody knows productivity rate for embankment fill in road works. if plse send detais to ******

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

To make the information useful to our friend who asked, the summary is that in order to determine the productive rates, the following parameters must be determined:

1. Type of Machines used (size, age, condition).
2. Type of soil and terrain.
3. Method/ Sequence of work.
4. Of course worker productivity is alawys an issue.

This is a standard question in most Engineering Economy books.

With kind regards,

Samer
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 7 min ago. Offline
Mike,

Better double chek it is not a a 7-inch 45 rpm Tom Jones record.

I know Tom Jones was a British singer of the 70’s but we never watched the show. It was shown at the same hour a local singer was on TV. My mother always wanted to see the show but at home we practiced democracy where majority rules. My one years old younger brother would say, Mom, the only word he knew. My father would say local talent and so do I, we always won by the count of 3 to 1.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Rafael

I worked with a bulk earthworks contractor in the UK for 3 years in the late 1980’s.

It was when I first used lotus 123 to its full potential in developing an average mass haul calculation matrix for cut to fill volumes.

I still have the original somewhere but it is on one of those big acetate floppies.

It was when I was developing a record keeping system that required the foremen to write a simple 3 digit code against each earth movement that I learnt my nickname - The Fat Controller.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mike,

Very good point, your scientific approach is the correct. Production rates are not fixed.

Even when new scrapers are faster than the older they are somewhat limited, in adittion to the fact new trucks and backhoes are becoming also more efficient. We use them frequently here as our landscape is 75% mountains, on our road design and construction we accommodate for minimum hauling distances, grade-ability becomes a major concern even when empty up the hill.

Good production references should provide you with different scenarios and combination of equipment as to simplify your preliminary estimate. That is why I advocate for references that provide you with the details; usually a brief description of the operation and the crew that includes equipment will do it. This is what is missing at the production rates shown in PP, if neither crew nor methods are provided production can be anything.

Gobinath question is in order, he cannot deppend on production rates as shown in PP.

Best regard,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

Scrapers are more productive on short hauls up to 0.5 km.

Over that there relatively slow speeds become uneconomical.

Best regards

Mike Testro.
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Gobinath,

I would also recommend that you check the type and size of machine that you will have on site. This is a Major Factor in determining the productivity rates.

Generally, the bigger the machines, the higher the productivity rates depending on the type of site layout you have.

With kind regards,

Samer
Rafael Davila
Don’t rule out moving earth with scrapers.
Gobinath Narayana...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Thank u Mike

Mike Testro
Hi Gobinath

It is not a good idea to leave your email address in the open forum.

Regarding your question the production rate depends mainly on the length of the haul route from your cut or borrow.

Assuming that your excavator can load 120 m3 hr then there is a formula to calculate the number of haul units.

Length of haul km x 2
Speed of haul units kmh
Volume of load m3
10 min loading + 10 min discharge.

You need to balance the number of haul units so that it will carry about 80% of the excavator production rate.

This has to be ballanced by the spreading and compaction rate and this depends on the material to be compacted.

Usually a D6 or D8 will spread the material towing a comaction unit.

Granular material can be vibro compacted
Cohesive clay has to be rolled with a colts foot or similar
Chalk is very tricky and needs special care depending on the moisture content.

Best regards

Mike Testro