Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hi,everyone! could you please help me?

11 replies [Last post]
Jasmine Jin
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,I’m a document controller in a petroleum company in China. Now I need to write an essay about document controller in petroleum company but don’t know how to start.I want to find some essays written by other people to learn.Can you help me?

Replies

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Although Jasmine post it long time ago,

the best approach is to use the INFORMATION HIGHWAY

Use google search

Document Control...pzzt busshhh

This is the lesson learn.

Cheers
happy planning and scheduling
Dave Crosby
User offline. Last seen 9 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Well if anyone does have to write such an "essay" I suggest the following structure:

Begin with a general discussion on the sort and size of projects who have document controllers. Some statistics on the industry would be good. Estimate how many documents may be involved in an average project - including emails.

Explain the basic purpose and function of project document control and tracking. Stress how this supports the project management and cost management of the project.

Explain the essential types of documents - e.g. drawings, specifications, RFIs, submittals, meeting minutes, etc. Stress the importance of these sorts of documents.

Explain the basic flow of these documents. Be sure to mention that some of these documents are predictive and some are after the event.

Add an anecdote of how things can go badly wrong or how something was saved by being able / or not being able to track a project document. Add something personal or else quote someone else. In other words, illustrate what you have been talking about. Make it come to life.

End with a one paragraph summary of all of the above.
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Chris,

Get well.

Having time for reading, Would you like that I send the Big Expo presentations to you. OR may be You were in Reading on 11NOV. What a pity If you were there and I did not meet you,

take care,
carmen
Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
It’s all in the state of mind. Get well soon Chris.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Carmen,

You are exactly right! I’m just out of hospital having sustained what we refer to as a work-related injury. Not too serious, but I’m laid up at the moment. Having seen the traffic of this request I was going to take a bit of time to find out a bit more and maybe make a couple of suggestions. When I saw the date on Jasmine’s original request, I’m afraid I gave in to an impulse for mischief. I’m glad Ferdinand saw it in the saw way that you and I did and got a smile from it.

Chris Oggham
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

Nevertheless, this question can be answered as follows:

1. Must have a general ledger to register all incoming and outgoing. Full copies must be retained of each.

2. Incoming: The head of the Document Control System must have a process to distribute the incoming. It should go to each section head and then to the responsible person in that section.

3. Outgoing: After retaining a copy, the package can be sent to its destination.

Of course, we can present the above in a more poetic way,

Best,

Samer
Ferdinand Fincale...
Oh no! I really did not noticed the first message. I thought it was fresh as it came up again in the limelight. lol! its like dumb & dumber.....
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Chris,

I laugh at your comment, but you have nothing to do.

Cheers,
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Ferdinand/Azeem,

Did you actually look at the year that Jasmine’s post was made before answering it?

Chris Oggham.
Ferdinand Fincale...
Dear Jasmine, you’ll be lucky enough if there is a poet in this planner’s community to help you. Go to internet search, type POETRY, then click go, and it will give you various websites where you can research about making an essay.

Good luck dear. Don’t mess up around here.

Cheers!

Azeem Abdul
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry dear,
This way we cant help U...