Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Procedure - Manhour consumption & progress measurement

4 replies [Last post]
Umerfarook Deshmukh
User offline. Last seen 14 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All

I will be really thanksful if any one provide me the procedure for Progress measurement based on manhours. I am in need of detailed procedure on how to measure the progress based on earned manhours and calculating productivity based on manhour consumption and manhour earned.
Yopu can email me the procedure on my email address umerfarooque@yahoo.com

I promise you to maintain the secrecy of information provide by you.

Waiting for your quick response.

Thanks & Regards

Umerfarook Deshmukh

Replies

Umerfarook Deshmukh
James

I really appreciate your gesture and hope that we would have a strong communicative relation on PP, which will help both of us in our professional life.

Merci

Umerfarook Deshmukh
Umerfarook Deshmukh
James

Thank you very much for your reply. However I need the procedure write up for an engineering project wherein I can measure the progress based on Manhours.

i know the progress measurement technique but I only need the procedure write up. if u can provide me the write up I will be thanksful to you

Regards,

Umerfarook Deshmukh
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

The method of calculating progress and Earned Value, using manhours, is exactly the same as for any other method. The basic equations are the same. All you are doing is changing the unit of measurement. The % complete is Actual / Actual + Remaining. Where you have to be a little careful is in the fact that the quantity of hours is likely to change, thus inducing a change to your % complete. Whereas when you use, say, m3 of excavations, the total quantity of excavation may remain static – thus in terms of “Physical” % complete there will be no change to the progress.

When using manhours, it is important to not think in terms of other physical measurement quantities, otherwise you will go bonkers. However, if your project costings have been calculated in other measurement units, then it might be easier for you continue using the same measurement.

James.
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Umerfarook,

Please forgive me if I sound a little a bit stupid or maybe haven’t understood the question - but if you know the technique, then is it not just as easy to write the procedure yourself. I don’t think it should take that long. However, if you just require the basic equations, I believe that there are number of threads in this forum that have explained them.

We ourselves do not have an easily accessible electronic copy of a document that contains those equations, so I couldn’t help.

Cheers.

James