Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Scheduling/Planning Unit Set-Up

6 replies [Last post]
Rami Al Haddad
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Fellow Planners and Schedulers,

I have been recently assigned the duty of setting-up a scheduling/planning unit; being new in the field and not having much exposure to the subject matter organization wise!!! I thought I’d ask more expericnced, more exposed fellow planners and PCD/PCS Managers on the matter.

please advice where and how to start... what typical organizaltion chart.template i can start with and tailor to my company’s needs...

Your help and guidance is most appreciated...

Replies

Rami Al Haddad
Thanks Nigel... ur advise and tips are most helpfull :)

Just if it is not too much... can u guide me to where I can find a typical Organization Chart for a multi-projec constrcution company at the oganization level not the project level and how project controls fit-in... It would help me assist our current organization and see if there is opportunities that we are missing on :)

Thanx again... Best Regards :)
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 1 week 19 hours ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Rami

Depending upon your organisation and size/number of projects, you would probably need the following:
Senior Planner
1 or 2 Junior Planners
Tech Clerk - guy to do the ruuning around/filing/drawings, progress chasing, etc.
If you also include the project controls side of things
Cost Engineer
Contracts guy
QS
Document Control
Material control
etc
Links with other departments? You need to link with ALL other departments - estimating, engineering/design, procurement, construction, financial, managment and all those in project controls.
Planning is a service provided to others and is part of project management in the organisation chart.
That is it simply. The rest is developing relationships, producing working and workable procedures, reporting, monitoring and all the daily grind.
Hope this helps
Nige
Rami Al Haddad
Thanks Peter,

a great tip... still... i’d like to hear it from people who have done it... my primary objective at this satge is to set-up and organize a scheduling section... I’m just not clear on job titles other rhan project scheduler I need... and what sort of realtionship such unit would have with other project support units... say engineering and material coordination...

looking forward for ur answers :)
Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 1 week 3 days ago. Offline
Go to the PMI website and
buy a book on setting up a PSO
then buy the book on improving you PSO
then the book on PSO maturity
then the book on going beyond the PSO
then the book on doing without a PSO

for Christmas you then buy the book on Company failures and how to avoid them !!
Rami Al Haddad
Hi Damian,

thank you for replying :)

the company mainly operates in the field of building construction works (as a contractor and recently on some project as a developer/investor also). we have wide range of projects from small residential to high quality VIP palaces and villas, Towers, Commercial Builidngs, Industrial buldings... you name it :)

many of our projects are EPC type projects... and we are considereing getting into BOT projects...

I hope this answers you!!!
Damian Smith
User offline. Last seen 13 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
What sort of project are you working on, you need to provide more info.