Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Percent Completion

2 replies [Last post]
shamail shardan
User offline. Last seen 17 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All ,,

I’d like to address three questions pertaining to the construction of high-rise buildings , given that the scope of works includes only the normal average finishing quality & systems:

1- How much is the average total man-hours for such a job in relation to the total value of the works ?
2- What is the average percentage of the Electro-Mechanical works man-hours of the above total man-hours ?
3- When Updating the schedule , should the percentage completion of the project based on the earned man-hours necessarily be close to the percentage completion based on the earned value of executed works?

thanks

shamail

Replies

shamail shardan
User offline. Last seen 17 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Charlie ,

Thanks alot for the reply and all through my reading in the subject of Q3 i find my self in agreement with your good self too, however; it is the Project Manager of the project who disagrees and is totally convinced that they should be so close to each other all the time. So i guess he just have to live with it ;-)

As for Q1 & Q2, i’m not 100% sure that i got your whole point, while i do agree that qualified skilled supervisors and direct manpower will certainly affect these numbers. My question was based on normal productivity rates which should assume average supervisors and manpower skills.

cheers

shamail
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Shamail,

Answer to Question No. 3: Not nescessarily.

Answers to Q1 & Q2 is trade secrets. Others may have higher manhours due to low quality of experience manpower, inefficient project management, incompetent direct supervisors, direct workers that dont care as long as they get monthly salary, etc and that will make them lose in the highly competitive construction market.

Cheers,

Charlie