Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

FEED

3 replies [Last post]
abdelkader belhami
User offline. Last seen 18 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Gentlemen,
Can somebody help me to know the difference between FEED and detail enginnering in the EPC contract?
What are the deliverables in each phase?
thanks

Replies

Renaud Moisan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
I mostly agree with Norzul’s description and I would just add one comment which is that the FEED is very often a necessary step towards awarding an EPCC contract. Following the feasability study, the owner hires an enginneering company to perform a FEED, in order to define more clearly what the project is all about in fair enough detail to be able to produce an Invitation To Tender (ITT) an get reliable offer from EPCC contractors.

The limit between the FEED and the Detailled Engineering can alsso vary from onr project to another, depending on the expected Long Lead Items.

Hope this helps
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Abdelkader,

Based on past experiences, what I can say is that it all depends on the purpose of FEED. Anyway just to share with yu, currently I’m involved in a cogeneration project. For this project we’ve decided to split the implementation in various phases:
1) Feasibility Study (FS)
2) Basic Engineering Design (BED) = FEED
3) EPCC

Why we’re doing that? This is about managing project risks. Prior to the actual project implementation which do involve a lot of investment & resources, we proceed with FS first. Let say the initial project statement is to implement the cogeneration project to supplly power & steam to the refinery. This is the kind of statement given by the top management or board of directors. We, the engrs need to translate that into a more specific & realistic project statement. Also need to establish a preliminary cost, shedule & dimensions of the project.

The main deliverables of FS are mainly the followings:
1) Major dimensions of the projects i.e. the possible options & recommended configuration of the cogeneration plant. It will be a FS Report.
2) Establish the power/steam ratio
3) Preliminary Level 2 Project Schedule
4) +/- 30% Project Cost Estimate
5) Economic Analysis i.e. Cashflow,IRR%,Payback Period,etc
6) Project Contracting Strategy i.e. BED + EPCC, BEPC, EPCM, etc

If the project is small and not that complicated, normally we do it ourself. If not we engage the consultant. Once completed the FS, we’ll present the findings to the management for approval.

If they approve, then we will proceed to BED or BEPC or EPCC phase as per the recommended contracting strategy. At this point of time, we normally have decided the plant configuration.

Will share with yu on the BED deliverabels later on...

Thanks

norzul
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
FEED : Front End Engineering Design?

We call it BED : Basic Engineering Design...

FEED = BED?