Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Estimate PM Effort as % of overall Project Effort

4 replies [Last post]
Cathy Hay
User offline. Last seen 21 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am looking for industry benchmarks or anecdotal information on high level (order of magnitude) estimating of Project Management effort, as a % of the overall project development effort. Preferably by phase (eg. requirements = 4% of overall project effort, construction phase = 2% of overall project effort, test phase = 1% etc...)

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Cathy,

We have 400+ members who state that they are either "Good" or "Expert" at "IT Engineering Projects" - this one area in which we are weak in, in terms of metrics and rates.

A while back we setup an action-group of members who were emailing each other on the subject, but it didnt really go anywhere - we lacked drive and direction !!

Im sure that Mark can help you, but one other avenue to try could be to email some of the people via the "Members Page"

Near to the top of the members page you will see a pull-dowm list called "Skill Search" with a "Minimum Level" menu to its right. If you choose the "IT Engineering Projects" from the list and press SEARCH, you will see a list of memebers who have graded themselves at the "Minimum Skill Level" that you chose (select NOVICE and you will get almost everyone, but thats not a lot of use!!).

If you are logged in (as a member) you will also see the email addresses that have been specified as "readable" by the members.

Why not try mailing some of those ? Sorry cant be more help. If you can resurect some interest in Software Planning - we will do all we can to assist you in furthering this area.

Howz that!?

The Planning Planet Team
Cathy Hay
User offline. Last seen 21 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry Mark, my question should have read "Software Project Management" - I am new to this site and am wondering if I have erroneously assumed that the Planning Planet crosses disciplines, or whether it is focused on Construction and Engineering? thanks!
Mark Lomas
User offline. Last seen 15 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry, I meant design a complex building.

See the Forum Answering thread on correcting mistakes !
Mark Lomas
User offline. Last seen 15 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Cathy,

What are you going to do with it ? It matters because the figures are industry and sector specific. For example, construction of complex buildings, say 5% of Stage manhours, construction 1.5% of Stage manhours (but what if the PM was the Contract Administrator ? 5% ?)