Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

enhancement?

10 replies [Last post]
Mohd Mahd
User offline. Last seen 16 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
what could be the possible enhancement for a planning engineer in addition to his work experience? i failed till now to find suitable online studies! any idea would be appreciated!

Replies

Mohamed Khedr
User offline. Last seen 1 year 6 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mohd,

Did you find what youve been looking for??
i asked my self that same quistion 3 years ago as a planner/ scheduler .. i got P3 experience and some practical experience in different disciplense too. But, i felt i still need learn something more... what?? i didnt know.

I went to the states to study a master in construction engineering.. i am almost done, but i still have that same desire yet.!!!

so, i am wondering if you had an answer to your needs yet.. and what it would be.
Mohd Mahd
agree fully. yet, i am deeply wishing, to make it stronger as much as we can! my regards mohd
Mohd Mahd
in fact, valuable ideas, with a small problem! the only problem with these ideas, they do not have reference, but one's self. which means, they will not be accepted all the time. they need authorization. i think i will go to a university, to see what they have. this is, what i am around nowadays. my regards Mohd
Ernesto Puyana
User offline. Last seen 7 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Isn't a forum as this one, a great enhancement source? quite informal, but practical.
Steve Barr
User offline. Last seen 21 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Have you considered learning different planning tools?, or perhaps different planning methodologies? All useful, as not every company uses the same standard way of working. Or perhaps challenge existing methods in your current project environment, such as re-defining the WBS, does it really cover all aspects of the project you are working on? By adding this to your CV, i.e., Implemented new company wide WBS shows enthusiasm and a real interest in your work. Shows you're willing to go that extra length.
Mohd Mahd
thanks indeed for the replies. well, they r now 2 directions: 1- yet, there's a way of enhancement, in addition to ur own experience. experience, is the practical way of enhancement, while studying is an academic or theoretical way of it. AFTER some time of experience, u need to read, to evaluate, to have better ideas, new ways, ......etc. this is the main reason of my question. 2- (standardization) if u look into projects details, then ur statement is correct. however, this should not be the case. in previous questions of some other members, the answer were positive. ie, there're good start up of standards. there was one part of BS, about planning. Unfortunately had been removed for unknown reasons to myself. if we can think a little more positive, we may be able to get back, and develop it. i remain, believe, there's a way.
Ernesto Montales
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Well if i may enter your discussion guys, For further enhancement it can be achieve in my case by talking to people with a larger experience, not just planning engineers but, to possible all trades, with that you will be able to see an activity how it being done on their perspective. Taking another degree will help.
Ernesto Puyana
User offline. Last seen 7 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Scheduling is actually not use to teach by means other than experience. Even if you try to write a book about it, there is little you can do but develop a few study cases, or example projects, which are nothing but experience. I don´t think one could "distill" a set of universal rules or something like that, since every project has something different and there is no single correct way to do things. Do you agree?
Mohd Mahd
thanks for ur reply. let me recall part of my question "in addition to his work experience? i failed till now to find suitable online studies" yet, looking for answer. my regards, mohd
Han Pekelharing
User offline. Last seen 12 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Try working on a project together with planning engineers who have experience in other areas or disciplines. One plus One = three, and you get the tips and tricks as a bonus.