Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baseline to Actual Update

2 replies [Last post]
Bert Ella
User offline. Last seen 10 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Experts,

Situation:

i am updating the program in weekly/mothly basis but i am not assigning nor maintaining the baseline for so long..

the question is how can i include/assign or maintain the original baseline to the latest updated program??

please help sirs..

Thanks and Regards,

HBS

Replies

Bert Ella
User offline. Last seen 10 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

yeah it is now clear to me,, thank you very much sir! it helps a lot... 

if you dont mind, could please send me some sample reports of the baseline vs updated one? and other references u r using in reporting like in s-curves, histograms and cashflow.. here is my email: gud_boy_18@yahoo.com

Thanks and Regards,

Bert

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

What you need to know about the Baseline in P6

In P6 you have 3 steps to ensure that the baseline  are not shifting during updating the schedule.

Step 1: Go to maintain baseline and add new baseline. Give the baseline and clear identification. Say BASELINE APRIL 2012.Also make the BASELINE APRIL 2012 your PROJECT BASELINE. this is at the lower part of the same form

Step 2: Go to Assign baseline and assign the baseline BASELINE APRIL 2012.

Step 3: Go to View bars and select the tick box for PROJECT BASELINE.

You should now see that the PROJECT BASELINE bar is displayed , usually in a yellow color, under the green colored bars. If you now update the schedule the yellow PROJECT BASELINE bars and milestones are remaining in the same position and the remaining duration bars these are color green are moving.

In short, maintain the baseline, assign the baseline and display the baseline. You can make multiple baselines in Primavera and suggest to keep always the original baseline. Usually this is the B.1 baseline. You have to remember that the main object of a baseline is that you can compare the "baseline schedule" with the status of the project at any time. Sometimes it is required to compare  with two baselines.

Try this example.

In the original baseline of a project you have not included for all activities. These were not know during the development of the baseline schedule and  therefore not included. Say two months later you include these in the schedule because they are essential for the project. Now you have two options. Update the original baseline or create an new baseline. Suggest to leave the original baseline as" baselined" and create new baseline.

Now you need to be careful. If Earned value is applied to the schedule and you assign the original baseline no earned value shall computed on the new activities. So what you do is as follows,  assign the updated baseline to the schedule and carried out the EV analysis and after this has been completed  you assign the "original baseline" and compare the present updated schedule against the original baseline.

Are you still with me or is this unclear? Pls let me know.

Johannes