Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Float Values Differ between Two Schedules with the only difference being some Asbuilt Activities Deleted

5 replies [Last post]
Ashley Bales
User offline. Last seen 11 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

On the project I am on, I can only show our Owner specific activities in the schedule as they will not approve a schedule with what my company considers a delay. With this, we escentially have two schedules for our project. Each month we update a schedule and then I copy that schedule, delete out certain asbuilt activities and ensure that the floats are the same. I did a comparison between the two schedules and all the start and finish dates matched for all the activities but the float values were different for some of the activities. How can this be?

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

To clarify -it may not change the early dates, but will always change either the early or late dates, and hence float.

Ashley Bales

So say that you have a 100% activity but the predecessor isn't complete and the successor isn't complete. Are you stating if I delete that 100% statused activity it may not change the dates but will affect the float?

We have three schedules we submit to our owner, a TIA, Update with Owner Delays and an Update without Owner Delays but still show the impacts of the Delays. The Owner does not recognize the TIA or the Update with Owner Delays because to them, there are no Owner delays on this project except for the ones they have already given us Change Orders for. Right now on this project, we are close to 1,000 pending issues or possible change orders, whatever you may call them. This job is huge and is just so complex.

Gary Whitehead

OOS wouldn't necesarily affect the dates (it depends on a number of factors such as other driving relationships, retained logic vs progress overide, constraints, etc), but it always affects float.

...If you're getting paid on the basis of your cost-loaded schedule, and your deleting some completed activities, does this mean the client doesn't pay for deleted late activities? Blimey.

Ashley Bales

I appologize for the reposting, the internet service here is slow.

In regards to the OOS, wouldn't this affect the start and finish dates anyway? I did a comparison between all activities and all activities had the right start and finish date, it is just showing different float in certain places...not very many. We have a 10,000+ activity schedule and only about 15 activities have this issue.

The fact that our Owner makes us do it this way is a fighting battle we have been fighting for the past 2 years. Our schedule is cost loaded and so we are somewhat at their mercy if we want to get paid.

-Ash

Gary Whitehead

Ashley,

Please only hit the post button once to avoid making multiple postings.

With regard to your problem, the first thing to check would be out of sequence working. -that is actual dates on activities which conflict with the logical links.

OOS will disrupt float calculations, so if you have deleted an activity that had started or finished before it's predeccesor relationships say they should, float values will change.

To correct, modify your relationships to reflect the reality on site -the P6 schedule report will give you a list of OOS activities. This is good planning practise anyway.

If it's not this, it may be that some of the activities you deleted had contraints on them which were effecting your float, but this seems unlikely.

I won't bother commenting on the strange and deceptive relationship you seem to have with your client, other than to say it seems strange and deceptive ;o)

Cheers,

G