Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Asssigning Baselines with Actual Dates

3 replies [Last post]
Nithin Shetty
User offline. Last seen 2 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Experts,

I have a difficulty here. I hope I get a good solution from you.

I have assigned a partially updated program as a Baseline (Project Baseline) (Say PB) to my current program (Say CP). Now I want to compare my current program (CP) to mentioned Baseline program (PB).  

I followed the usual steps. In the Bars template, I have selected 'Project Baseline Bar', 'Actual Bar', 'Remain Bar' etc.

But the display of 'BL project start' & 'BL project finish' shows Planned dates of PB instead of Actual Dates of PB. How can I fix this?

Really appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,

Nith

Replies

Nithin Shetty
User offline. Last seen 2 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Thanks Gary & Raymund. Much appreciate your tips.

Nith

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline

Nith,

Restore your PB, open it, and execute Global change to make the Planned Dates = Current Dates.

Re attach PB into CP, assign again as PB. 

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

This is a common problem, and to my mind one the most stupid default setting in the history of planning software

Go to admin > admin preferences > earned value tab, and select either " at completion values with current dates" or "budget values with current dates"

It's probably also worth going to project > calculations and ensuring the "link budget and at completion for not started activities" box is ticked -another stupid default setting.

For more info on what these settings do, Paul Harris has a brief presentation on the issue on his website:

http://www.eh.com.au/Technical%20Papers/110616_P6_V7_What_Baseline_Bars_am_I_Displaying.pdf