Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing Resource Assignments

10 replies [Last post]
Jon Ward
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all - ANY advice would be very much appreciated,,,

I am currently running imports into P6 (from an xls workbook) that give me both Activities and Resource Assignments, my question is this – is there a method of OVER-WRITING the resources during the import, to be more specific – if ACTIVITY001 has a resource of ‘electrician’ and for what ever reason the activity has been changed (in the xls import file) to be ‘pipe fitter’, following my import ACTIVITY001 will have both ‘electrician’ & ‘pipe fitter’ (‘electrician’ will be the primary resource), I just want the new import to overwrite the current resource if that makes sense??

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

you have 2 options 

option #1

delete ALL of the existing resources and import new

option #2 

export all activites with resources then in excel do a vlookup to compaire the existing to the new and if it is not found delete the resource by putting a Y in the last column that is exported 

Marie John
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

We have good and expert team for best assignment help. contact us now and get good grades in your assignment.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Jon,

You are Welcome.

Here is how to On - Off Limit line. Uncheck "Show Limit"

limit_2.jpg

Jon Ward

sorry Raymund - this shall be the last question, how do i turn the limit line on and off? i.e. make it visable,, i have looked through the Activity Usage Profile options and cannot see it anywhere?

many thanks

Jon

Jon Ward

thanks again Raymund - excellent help!!

Raymund de Laza

Jon,

Here is the excel window.

resource.jpg

For the Resource Limit modify the Max Unit per Time to show the limit line on the profile.

limit.jpg

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

(here is Primavera's help info on deleting row in  the import worksheet.)

Delete Project data in the XLS file

To delete project data using Microsoft Excel, place a 'D' or ' d' in the Delete This Row column for the selected row in the worksheet. When importing, the information included in the deleted row will be removed from the project.

Jon Ward

also Raymund,

(apologies for the continual questions), how do i set a horizontal line that details the limit that I would like to set for the resources within the Activity Usage Profile view in P6,, i currently view BUdgeted Labor Units, Actual and Remaining as a traditional bar-chart however I would like to see a horizontal line across that I can use to level against (manualy before I sutomatically level)

Once again, many thanks

JOn

Jon Ward

Thank you Raymund,

What is the name of the field/column that I need to insert the 'Y' (for deletion) into? is this field/column on the TASKRSRC tab of the import workbook? I import both TASK and TASKRSRC in order to update all of my fields.

Once again, many thanks

Jon

Raymund de Laza

Jon,

In excel, Use the rightmost column to delete the existing ("Y") then copy the same activity to another row for the new resource. Then import.

Hope this will help.