Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6v7 - Export / Import Change in Dates

8 replies [Last post]
Deepak Jain
User offline. Last seen 11 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

We'r experiencing an issue with P6v7 dates / variance on sending the xer file to client and client importing it onto their machine.

It appears that some of the dates changed on import. We've already tried utilizing calendars at project instead of global, changing import config and scheduling options check on both machines, but the issue still persists

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Deepak

Replies

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

We had the same experience as your case mentioned. ; the consultant import did not match fully the dates of the main contractor dates after import of the .xer file

What happened was the main contractor made few changes to the calendar (working days in some months, and working hours in one month). After export, the consultant imported the file; after import, some date discrepancies was found with the main contractor dates, in reference to a hard copy the main contractor programme.

To troubleshoot the problem,  consultant made the following exercies:

1) changed and tested the various import options in P6 v 7; -> (didn't solve the issue)

2) matching the P6 user and admin settings for both contractor and consultant.  -> (didn't sove the issue)

3) ensuring both default calendars at the same -> (didn't solve the issue)

At the end, the consultant has sit in the main contractor computer to manually verify/ copy the calendar settings of main contractor;  (working days per month, working hours per day, holidays etc). - THIS WORKED.

The lesson to this:

The P6 options in importing to update calendar of an existing programme do not necessarily give a 100% exact copy.  By import update options, I mean a) Update Existing; or b) Insert new c) Delete

(Also the programme in this case involved 20,000+ activities, 44,000 relations, 2 calendars, progressed and updated).

I hope this solution will work on your case also. Maybe also, there are other solutions.

Good Luck.

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Deepak,

P6 has Global, Resource and Project calendars, Global Calendar is applicable to all your projects, Resource Calendar is used for specific activities within a project and Project calendar is used exclusively for a project. When you set-up your calendar, first you set it up under global calendar and then make it project specific by adding it to your project or you can do it vice versa. Normally, when you export the P6 file, the project calendar data should come with the XER file, unless you defined it as global and did not make it project specific.

Regards,

Daniel

Deepak Jain

Thanks everyone for reply.

Ronald, There are no resources in the schedule & client is using the same calendars at project level. Dates appears to be fine only until they press F9 and then it goes out with some tasks at – var of 18-20 days

Ferdinand, I checked admin preferences on both M/c’s and they are similar

Raymund, Default calendar on both M/c’s are same. I thought default calendar setting only relates to insertion of new task , and on scheduling P6 perform calculations on basis of individual task calendar (only variation being the Lag as per scheduling options )

Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

check also ADMIN PREFERENCES timeperiods

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

The last time I saw this, the problem was in matching the resources.  They need to be using the same calendars and resource rules.  A single resource rule that does not match can drastically change the activity dates.  Good luck!

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Deepak,

I suggest to set the Default calendar of your client machine to be the same as your Default Calendar.

Deepak Jain

Thanks Daniel. Let say you got multiple calendars with 8Hr/d (Design), 10 Hr/d (Execution) and 24Hr/d (facility shutdown) but on a global level , the default in P6 is 8Hr/d. Client machine also shares the similar setting of 8Hr/d as default. 

So, in this case what (calendar settings) gets exported and import back on multiple machines ? My assumption was "Hours per time period" other then generic is calendar specific and should be exported as part of xer.

Does this mean if a project has 10 different calendars then on import, client has to check "Hours per time period" for each of them ?

R,

Deepak

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Deepak,

I believed it has something to do with the set-up of 'Hours Used Per time Period', P6 calculates in hours and the standard working hours per day in P6 is 8 hours = 1 day and the moment you change this and the other computer is not configured ths same way then obviously you will have a variance. 

Regards,

Daniel