Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Finish dates move along with Data Date

5 replies [Last post]
George Alberch
User offline. Last seen 12 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I'm sure this is a basic problem, but I'm going nuts here. 

I've got a basic level 1 schedule. No logic or anything, just start constraints and durations.

A couple of activities have already started (and the Started check box has been checked accordingly).

Problem: when I change the Data Date the finish date changes (when I wanted it to remain the same). E.g. Activity start date 1st of July, data date 5th of July, finish date 20th of July, 7 day working calendar. Then when I re-schedule witha new data date of 8th of July, finish date now changes to 23rd of July.

Note: Duration type: "Fixed Duration & Units". % Completion Type: "Physical".

I've tried various Duration and completion types combinations, but no success.

Please help! Many thanks.

Replies

Jash Sales
User offline. Last seen 12 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Hi George,

If you want to remain your finish date while your activity is in progress, just assign expected finish date equal to your finish date. Your finish date will not move until your data date is later than your finish date.

Cheers

John Sims
User offline. Last seen 10 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Hi George,

I think this is happening as some of the others said, you need to update the progress on the activity, if your activity hasnt progressed as much as it should of done then the planned finish date will move accordinally.

Have you baselined the project? if so you can set the BL1 Start and Finish dates as columns and add a primary baseline line bar and you will see the original dates compared to any slippage, you will then know which activities you need to accelerate to make my your project finish on time.

Hope that helps.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 1 week ago. Offline

George,

I am not clear why anyone would want to pay $3,000 for Bar Chart Software, but your answer is simple.  Simply use Progress Spotlight and Update Progress to move the Data Date.  (I never thought that I would ever recommend this to someone!)

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

George,

It sounds like you are not ammendign either %age complete or remaining duration when you reschedule to a later date? If so, essentially you are telling the software that zero progress has been made in this period, so you should expect the finish date to slip.

If all you want to do is move the data without having any effect on the schedule then go to tools, update progress. This will let you tell the software to assume progress has been preciesely as planned in the period.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 day 17 hours ago. Offline

Hi George

If the percentage complete is less than what would have been anticipated at the data date then the end date will move.

For instance if you have used up 20% of the time but only done 10% of the work then you are behind schedule and the end date will show it.

If you have the option of using a jagged data line then the end date should not move.

Best regards

Mike Testro