Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Can't understand Early start & finish dates.

4 replies [Last post]
Krishna Kumar
User offline. Last seen 12 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Planners,

Even if we updated the actual date, why the early start date is showing the current data date? And how can we control the early finish date, kindly give me advice on this.

Regards,

Krishna

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Selcuk

you do not put in start and finish date for each activity you only put in the start of the project date and the finish date of teh project. Your durations, logic and claendars determine the date after you calcualte the schedule F9.

You need to understanbd how dates are calculated

the early dates are calcuated during the forward pass and goes forward in time. The forward pass begins with the start of the project or the data date this gives you the early start and early fininsh dates.

the laste dates are claculted during the backwardpass and start it the end of the project or the projetc must finish by date and goes backward in time to give you the late start and late fininsh dates.

the difference between the late dates and the early date is the float.

selcuk oflaz
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Hi planners, 

I am using Primavera P6 7.0.

I created a new project and training by myself,following a book and bunch videos.  My project has only 5 activities. I entered the Start dates and Finish Dates only. However, I do not understand if ""Early start - Early finish - Late start - Late Finish"" dates are something I edit or something that P6 calculate and put right there. At the momenet, my early start early finish late start late finish dates are blank. Why ? I want that colomn to show me some dates . i would like to hear your advices. 

Regards.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Kumar

you are not doing somenting correctly once you put in an actual date there is no longer an Early start date. The actual start date over rides the start date becaus eit is an actual.

What you are talking about is the start of the activity for the REMAINDER of the activity.

if you have an activity that has 10 days as the original duraiton and you have an actual start and you say this activity is 50% complete then the remaining duration is 5 days. So the earlies that the raming 5 days of work can being is at the data date.

If this activity has a predecessor that ha snot bene completed then the remaing 5 days can not begin unitl ist precedessor has been comepleted.

You need to understanbd how dates are calculated

the early dates are calcuated during the forward pass and goes forward in time. The forward pass begins with the start of the project or the data date this gives you the early start and early fininsh dates.

the laste dates are claculted during the backwardpass and start it the end of the project or the projetc must finish by date and goes backward in time to give you the late start and late fininsh dates.

the difference between the late dates and the early date is the float.

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Kumar

In P6 instead of using Early dates column ,always use Start and Finish date column which gives the clear picture of actual dates and forecasted planned dates.

Early dates takes data date as reference upon updating due to CPM algorithm .Data date is the early start date for proceeding  forward pass calculation.

Regards

Shahul