Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

project-level activity code length

5 replies [Last post]
Alex Brandt
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

My client is wanting me to create activity codes that are 23 characters long.  Our setting limits the length of activity codes to 20 characters.  Is there an administration setting that allows longer code values?  Thanks!

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

I read Stevens post but the limit is 20 if it works then great but as a work around just create UDF and make it a text field

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Alex,

20 Characters is the maximum amount that you can enter when creating the activity within Primavera, however the database can store up to 40 characters.

Easiest way of getting more than 20 characters is to export the project to excel, add all your activities in there with the Activity ID's you want & re-import to Primavera.

I have just completed a quick test in P6 & it accepted an Activity ID 27 characters in length with no error message.

Hope this helps,

Steven

Lorne Bussell
User offline. Last seen 50 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Alex, 

Better late than never, the activity code maximum length can be changed in the Activity Codes Definition panel accessed by clicking on the Modify... button from the activity codes panel that you ess when you select Activity Codes... from the Enterprise menu dropdown.

Cheers,

Lorne

Alex Brandt
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

I'm asking about activity code (not activity ID) values (not code descriptions).  My client wants the value to be 23 characters long.  I have found the setting where you define how long the code value is with each activity code, but it seems the maximum is 20 characters.  I'm asking to see if anyone knows how to change the administrative setting so that the maximum activity code length is more than 20 characters.  Or is the 20 character max hard-coded into the P6 application/database?

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Alex

Is it activity code or activity Id,i believe 20 characters is for activity id and there is no such length requirement for activity codes.

Please correct if i am wrong ?

Regards

Shahul