Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planned progress for next two weeks or 2 months

10 replies [Last post]
Shazia khan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Hi-Experts.

I am using P6 Ver-7.

I want see planned progress for next 2 weeks or 2 months,

I have baseline vs current project , which is showing  Planned  progress % vs Actual  progress  % for current months only.

there is any way to see planned progress for next 2 months witout update the schedule.

Thanks

Replies

shaik faheem
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Assalamualaikum

iam new to Primavera p6 can any body help what are the basic settings before we are going to create new project with activities, wbs, duration, resources, description, any reminders and techniques to create a project with out any difficulty so that i can create the project and then baseline schedule with out any mistakes in time.

please suggest me the tips

regards

shaik abdul faheem

Rockzy Sales
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

yes. Baseline will not change, unless you revise it.

So, then if that's your case, then what you submitted in excel should have the same result as what you are doing in P6 "apply actuals" for the following weeks or months, since they are both based on Baseline Schedule (not the current schedule where you applied reality not just "auto apply actuals" ;-)

It depends on your client if that's what they want to see for the next 2 weeks or 2 months....but is it really going to happen? if it is..then I believe you have a really good baseline schedule. you must have anticipated all the unlikely events or the out of sequence activities.

for me I would check what's "actually" happening out there....and layout to my client what are the activities that are more likely to happen for the next 2 weeks or months..

Cheers,

the Rock

Shazia khan

Where did you get the data for the planned progress you submitted in excel? if it came from your baseline in P6, then it should be  good.

Auto actual apply, i assume that my project  going as per planned resource,

Shazia khan

Thanks for reply,

What i understood is, while updating Schedule Baseline progress never ever change , it is fixed , only current project progress shall be varies according to productivity (resource change) it may be less or more, that we will  compare with baseline & Current project progress ,

if current project overall progress is 45% may be baseline progress is 50% means overall 5% behind,

Please advise me if i am misunderstand,

Thanks

Rockzy Sales

hi,

Where did you get the data for the planned progress you submitted in excel? if it came from your baseline in P6, then it should be  good.

As for the look ahead planned progress for the next reporting cycle, it will not be the same as the original baseline plan that you submitted... unless all your actual start (for started activities) and actual finishes (for finished activities) are on their right places as your baseline schedule.

In our project, our plans for the following weeks are based on what is actually happening on our project and what should be next based on what was actually done.

regards,

the Rock

Shazia khan

Thanks for all.

I would like to know that , client request to provide Planned %  Progress (overall)  for each Months and every week,

of project cycle.

What i did is , i have copy Baseline as (dummy) with the name of Monthly Planned Progress then  Apply Actual, as i have planned resource to work according to productivity,

However i have noted each month progress in Excel Sheet and given to Client, that is my plan % progress is.

Now while i will update my Original Schedule , i will get actual Progress, with ( current project Vs Baseline) schedule,

I am not sure Baseline % progress shall be same as what i have given to client,(i can make that trial at my end) but i would like know your experience in this regards.

What is your best experience to tackle this situation.

Your advise valuable for all ,

Thanks

Rockzy Sales

Hi,

I know you're refering to experts.... you may ignor me if you want.. :-)..

I'm sorry, you just want to "see" planned progress? Have you tried "Acivity Usage Profile icon"?

sorry what planned progress do you want to see anyway? units? quantities? cost? duration? cummulative? or for each activity?

Cheers,

the Rock

Amit Parmar (PMP)
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

There is no need to make any filter. You will be updating the reflection project with a data date 2 month later than today, hence the project will be auto updated with actuals for that date assuming the current rate of project.

Then reports can be generated for actual activities based on the new data date. You will not be doing anything in the original proejct.

Regards

Amit

Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 39 weeks ago. Offline

If I understood you right then make a filter i.e. BL1 start date <DD+2 months....

Regards

Amit Parmar (PMP)
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Create a "Reflection" for your current project>>choose progress spotlight and selet the 2 months period from data date in the gantt chart>> and goto tools>> Update progress>> Primavera will allocate actuals to all the activities falling in the 2 month window>> Generate reports

You can choose to keep the reflection or delete it as per your requirement.

Regards

Amit