Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to feed directly the quantities of a Resources in the spreadsheet of Primavera P-6

15 replies [Last post]
Syed Faisal Hashmi
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Friends,

I need S-Curves of a Resource (like Concrete) in terms of (a) Quantities and (b) Cost in Primavera P-6.  To do this I follow the following Steps

Step 1: I go to Enterprise > Resources > add a new Resource > here in new resource wizard assign resource ID, Resource Name, and then Finish. Now In Resource detail tab tick on material, drop down unit of measure and I assign meter cube for Concrete. Now in Unit & Prices tab I assign Max Units/ time (for Concrete I assign 1000 meter cube per day) and I also price/ unit from the BOQ price.

Step 2: Now if I need to assign this resource (concrete) then I select the activity and in activity detail tab > Resources > add resource and here I put Budgeted Units from the BOQ.

Step 3: and then to Resources usage Profile.

Now my Problem is this I have too many activities, and hence it is too much time consuming to select each activity individually and then to go to step 2. So is there any way like to feed directly the quantities in the spreadsheet of Primavera. The Quantity Surveyor gives me the quantities of activities in tabular format and if I can directly put in spreadsheet without selecting each activity and to follow Step 2, then I can save my considerable time.

I will appreciate your help and Time.

Best Regards

Faisal Hashmi

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

you do not need sdk to do this 

follow your steps 1 & 2

assign the resource to one activity with the budget untis in it 

you will use this as your template in excel to import the budgeted units back into p6

now export to excel

export the activities as well as the resource and resource assignments 

when exporting modify the items in the export and make sure to export the

activity id, resource id and budgeted units

when you export the file to excel there will be 2 tabs

one tab is the activity information and the other tab is the resource informaiton 

the tab labeled as TASK is the activity information and the one labled as TASKRSRC is the resource tab 

go to the TASK tab and copy the activity id to the TASKRSRC you should be pasting into row 4 of the TASKRSRC tab

now copy the resource name down from row 2 to the other rows

now you can populate the budgted units just like you wanted to do

save the file and import just the resource assignments back into p6 you wil be prompted for what you want to import

the key here is exporting a template so that you can populate it quickly 

Ayman Eleish
User offline. Last seen 12 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,Amit,

I will be highly appreciated if send me the same SDK

my email

ayman_eleish@hotmail.com

Amit Parmar (PMP)
User offline. Last seen 11 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Syed,

I have emailed the files to you. You can use your primavera login id and password to connect to the database, provided the user has SDK access.

1) Dictionary6x - is used to edit Global data eg. Adding resources, calendars etc to database.

2) Activity6x - is used to edit Project data eg. Assigning resources to activities, editing units etc.

Please use the following worflow for inputting data.

Use respective "Get" button to retrieve data from database>> Edit the data (use "?" button on top for help) >> Once data has been entered >> Use "Set" button to send the data back into the database

Important Note - Once you have used the "Set" button to send data into the database and after that you decide to enter/edit more data, Use "Get" command again to refresh the new data from database otherwise there will be duplication of data. Always "Get" Data again after using the "Set" command.

Try using the sheets on a dummy project till you are not confident enough to work on a live project.

Regards

Amit

Syed Faisal Hashmi

Thanks, you can mail me at 

sayyad.faisal@gmail.com

Amit Parmar (PMP)

Hi Syed,

Glad to know you were able to configure SDK. When you login to Primavera using PMSDK, u will get the same data as PMDB. The schema for PMSDK is different cause SDK contains calculated fileds like "Total Float" which are not present in default database PMDB. They are calculated by everytime you press F9.

You need to use the following excel sheets to connect to your database and do the editing. The sheets are more or less self explanatory, you can use the "?" symbol on the top for help.

Note- Since you will be editing data at the database level directly, i would advise that you make a backup before using these sheets.

Please send me you email address, so that i can forward you the files.

Regards

Amit

usman arshad
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Faisal..

if u have same resources and different quantities, add up quantities for same, make new activity, change type to LEVEL OF EFFORT for that activity. link that activity SS with first activity & FF with last activity for a specific WBS. add resources in that activity. go to resources assignment. copy and paste to excel.

Usman

usman arshad
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Faisal..

if u have same resources and different quantities, add up quantities for same, make new activity, change type to LEVEL OF EFFORT for that activity. link that activity SS with first activity & FF with last activity for a specific WBS. add resources in that activity. go to resources assignment. copy and paste to excel.

Usman

Syed Faisal Hashmi

Thanks Anbin & Amit

I think I have successfully configured the PMSDK database.

When I  login to Primavera using PMSDK database the screen is same

as that of PMDB database. ( Is it configured correctly??)

Yes Amit what next I have to do to feed the quantity using spreadsheet of Primavera.

Regards

Faisal Hashmi

Anbin Ponnith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Hai Sayed

For configuring SDK Type the Database Name as pmdb$primavera not(pmsdk$primavera)

Regards

Anbin

Amit Parmar (PMP)

Hi,

The default password for username:"pubuser" is "pubuser" without quotes. It should work with that.

Regards

Amit

Syed Faisal Hashmi

Dear Amit

when i try to modify my program. The following error message i got

Bad public user name or password. Database Server Error: Login failed for user 'pubuser'.
Cannot open database "pmsdk$primavera" requested by the login. The login failed.;

Can you please  help me in configuring pmsdk.. i followed the same steps as been stated by you. i.e.

I Choose option "modify" when installing Primavera and then i  choose SDK as an option to install.

Regards

Faisal Hashmi

Amit Parmar (PMP)

Hi,

You can use CD1 in your Primavera Set for installing SDK. Choose option "modify" when installing Primavera and then you can choose SDK as an option to install.

Regards

Amit

Tanveer Ahmad Niazi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Dear Amit

Would you mind telling me how I can install SDK?

Thanx - Tanveer

Amit Parmar (PMP)

Hi,

You can install SDK and use the excel sheets given by Primavera to input the data in the database. Once y ou are done installing SDK you can update the post and i will email the files to you :)

Regards

Amit

Syed Faisal Hashmi

Friends any help will be highly appriciated