Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Basic but Confusing - Original duration and bar.

3 replies [Last post]
abbas india
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I prepared one Schedule below, I could not attach the same in P6 here,

Activity ID Activity Name Original Duration Start Finish Calendar
Test for duration fluctuation 7 4-Dec-10 12-Dec-10 6 WORKING DAYS
  A1000 New Activity 1 1 4-Dec-10 4-Dec-10 6 WORKING DAYS
  A1010 New Activity 3 2 5-Dec-10 6-Dec-10 6 WORKING DAYS
  A1030 New Activity 2 2 7-Dec-10 8-Dec-10 6 WORKING DAYS
  A1020 New Activity 5 1 9-Dec-10 9-Dec-10 6 WORKING DAYS
  A1050 New Activity 6 1 9-Dec-10 11-Dec-10 6 WORKING DAYS
  A1060 New Activity 7 1 11-Dec-10 12-Dec-10 6 WORKING DAYS

The Calendar assignment is 6 day, 10 hrs/day and Friday holiday 

Edit- user preference – Time units, set as Day

Linked all with FS relationship

Start date is 4-Dec-10

I have the following doubts,

If you take daily timescale,

1. Why Activity ID A1000, the Bar is showing only some portion (showing only for 10 hrs)? not the whole day bar as in P3??

2. Why A1050 is starting on 09-Dec-10 which is same as the finish date of A1020, it is suppos to start on 09-Dec-10

Please help me how to rectify this in P6.

Regards,

Abbas

Replies

abbas india
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Amit and Daniel,

Thanks for your replies, exactly these are the reasons behind it.

thanks a lot.

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Abbas,

Yeah, I believed P6 needs more improvement in some areas, I have encountered the same problem when i switch to P6 (ver 6.2.1). I think the default setting of P6 is 8 working hours per day, in other words 8 hrs= 1 day, the moment you change the hours funny things happen. I heard that they already resolved this problem in P6 version 7.

To solve your problem just switch back to 8 hours per day instead of 10 hours, the thing is you may have to reenter your durations all over again as it will change. You can also try to change the default from 8 hrs to 10 hrs, you can find this under enterprise and then calendars. 

Regards,

Amit Parmar (PMP)
User offline. Last seen 11 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

1) If you are trying to see a daily timescale, then the non-working hour will not be shown as working hours, since the filter remaining bar is remaining work...hence it will only show the working time.

2) Can you goto Edit- user preference – Time units and choose the option "show hours" , once that's done then please check the time in hours that the activity A1020 is ending on 9 dec. If the activity is ending before the calendar working time ends, then the successor activity would start the same day.

Example - If your calendar work time is 9AM-7PM and A1020 is ending on 6 Dec 17:00 then A1050 would start on 6 Dec 17:01

Then you need to check why is the activity not ending at calendar end time and ending before that. This usualy happens due to constraints.

hope it helps

Regards

Amit