Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

how can compare between two schedule in P6 ??

13 replies [Last post]
Jehad Aldaoud PMP...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

good evening to all 

is there any way in P6 can compare between two schedule if there is it please explain it to me , if there isn't can give me link for program do this comparison 

best regards 

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 10 hours ago. Offline

to graphically compaire 2 schedules you set one schedule as a baseline

maintain baseline

then assign baseline 

then add a bar for Project Baseline

Niloy Dey
User offline. Last seen 4 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

How can I compare two baselines using Manage & Assign Baselines process. I already tried once, but it tracks from original baselines and displays (-ve) floats considering initial baseline. 

But I need to compare the new baseline I saved and the updated programme. And this new baseline & updated programme consists of same finish date. so float must be '0', as I understand.

Would request for an explanation and method.

And would like to say Hello to every body as I have just joined in this group.

Thanks & Regards

Niloy

Victor Basa
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Gents,

I try to use Claim Digger to compare my schedules, how come it show differently that it show in Schedule. as for example, for an activity A in my new Schedule show float for -21. How come the result i got from Claim digger show for Activity A Total Float -35d (New) and 5d (Old).

Is there anyone having this issue? or i misinterpreted it wrong.

Regards,

VB

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 56 sec ago. Offline

Jihad,

Can you clarify your need?

1. Do you want to compare a few fields, no matter if there is no change at all, juts display the values?

2. Do you want to report and compare only for any changed field?

3. Do you want to present your compared data along with Gantt Bars of compared versions on different rows ?

Digger originally was a third party application developed for P3 to filer and report only on changed fields. It was a very efficient way for the audit of any changes between schedule versions.

Digger trademark along with the original version was purchased by Primavera same as P3e the precursor of P6 was purchased from another developer. Primavera used the name Digger for a file comparison utility within P6 but same as P3 and P6 are different applications, Digger for P3 and Digger for P6 are equally different.

Digger for P3 was very efficient at comparing only for changed fields, need no. 2, and with a few clicks you would be able to obtain a report that filters out changes on any field. For this purpose Digger for P3e was a disaster, difficult to setup, easy to miss some or many of the changes as it must be setup individually for every table and then filtered out, kind of a monumental task, useless for this purpose. Better look for Schedule Analyzer from Ron Winter as perhaps it is better for this task.

Unfortunately many software developers followed P3e (eventually P6) version of Digger, impractical for need no.2, good for need no.1.

For need no.3, most software will display compared bars on the same line with expanded height as to fit the different bars shifted upward or downward. Some will display compared versions data on the same row on different columns, some will even display a computed difference. The problem with this method is that it will generate too wide reports that are difficult to follow, if not impossible. I have figured out a way to report on different rows the values of the different compared versions in Spider Project, for P6 maybe it can be mimicked.

It all depends on your particular needs, all three needs are different but legitimate.

Best regards,

Rafael

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline

There are four third party tools on my www.primavera.com.au web site under THRID PARTY SOFTWARE. There is some neat stuff there that has a lot more functionality than Claim Digger.

Paul E Harris

Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia

Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training

www.eh.com.au

www.eastwoodharris.com

www.primavera.com.au- a Primavera scheduling software resources site

Jenn Weber
User offline. Last seen 10 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

With Fuse you can compare two, or even more than two, schedules and identify variances between any attribute. This means identify activities that have been added or removed, activities that have moved on or off the critical path, variances in total float or cost between multiple status updates, and more. Learn more about schedule comparison with Fuse at http://www.projectacumen.com/fuse/overview/analysis/forensicanalysis/ or download a free trial at http://www.projectacumen.com/trial.  

Sohayle Pasandalan
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

In comparing 2-Schedules using claim digger. what is it mean appearing "An application event has been intercepted?"

Thanks,

SPP

Naveen Paladugu
User offline. Last seen 7 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Here is the step by step procedure to compare to schedules

1) Tools------> Claim digger

2) Select the projects to compare i.e. in first column present project (default) and in 2nd column (select project/Baseline)

3) Click "Advanced tab" to customize the date fields you want to compare

4)Specify file format and output file location

5) click compare

It gives the report as you need

Naveen Paladugu
User offline. Last seen 7 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

You can use claim digger to compare schedules. Tools------>Claim digger

The Schedule Comparison main window appears where you can select the projects/baselines and specific data fields you want to compare (Advanced tab)

Muhammad Aqeel
User offline. Last seen 13 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Mr. Jihad,

Are useing Claim Digger? may i know the process of that? becoze i try here but  when i go to double click the Claim Digger opetion its not showing any thing just one box is but not show select revised project Vs. Priginal project or baseline? Could you please guide me step by step if you never mind it...

kind regard,

maqeel

maqeel2008@hotmial.com

Jehad Aldaoud PMP...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

i don't what to say to thank you Carmen i will used the second option because it will give me the data that i wanted 

Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS

Hi

sometimes if schedules have different act id, and are still to be compared, you can use "activity code"

use a summary actvity code, at the level you want to report / compare the two schedule, dully code both the schedule, then organise by the activity code and filter out the schedules, so that you can use different colours and bar levels in the chart

Hope this help

L

Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

Jiahd,

I am busy with schedule comparison and as far as I know, There are 2 ways:

•  Using baseline option: this is a wrong approach because this option has a maximun of 3 baselines. The concept of baseline is different if you want to compare schedules based of what if scenarios (which is my case).
  •  Using claim digger option: yiu can find this option under Tools-Claim Digger

I have never used the option, but it seems to be very powerful. It allows you to do the following:

Comparison of Project data and/or activity data

Send the report to: different type of files.

Allow you to: select revised project vs. original project or baseline.

Regards, HTH

Carmen