Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

using different type of % complete for the same project

4 replies [Last post]
kumar s
User offline. Last seen 8 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Dear all

i have a query regarding the % complete type for the activities

i have to  use the units % complete for 60% of activities (these activites are totally dependent on the resourceas available)

around 20% activities are based on the duration type(here resources does not matter only duration counts)

around 10% activities are dased on physical % complete(the actitites should be assessed by the % scope finished)

SO IF I USE these three % complete type in a single project what should be my settings while updating the schedule

i wanted to known if the percentages will show correctly when it is rolled up to the wbs level.

please guide me

thanks in advance

Replies

kumar s

Dear Amit

thnaks for your reply

so you mean to say that hte weightages cannot be given to the activities.

i have a doubt about the Est weight option for the actitities

what is the use of this. can we not assign the weightages here for a set actitivities which are coming under a  perticular WBS Node.

can you please brief me how can  we assign resources in values on weightages.

Amit Parmar (PMP)
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

HI Kumar,

You are correct when you say that the weightages can be assigned only at the wbs level to wbs milestones. But we use a workaround by assigning resources in values on weightages and updating the activities based on that. But it works if only the weighted resource is updating the activity.

Regards

Amit

kumar s

Dear Amit

Thank you very much for your valuable input.

i will work on it by creating a sample project and analyse it

one more thing i want to know if we can assign weightage to a perticular activity.

i thought that weightages can be given only at the WBS LEVEL only

Amit Parmar (PMP)
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Primavera has following columns:

1) Duration % complete

2)Units % Complete

3) Physical % complete

Each of these columns will show you rolled up values in wbs for the respective type of activties. ie. If a WBS has a mix of duration, units & pysical the rolled up values for these activties will be in their columns and you would not get a combined rolled up percent complete.

In order to get a combined % complete, you have to add column "Performance % complete" which at activity level :

Performance % Complete = Activity % complete (Activity Level Only)

In order for the value to roll up to wbs level the project should have a cost loaded baseline assigned to it. Cause WBS level performance % complete is calculated by the following formula

Performance% Complete = Earned Value/ Budget at Completion

I know this is confusing so i would suggest tht you make a simplet project with 5 activities of different types and assign cost to it and you would autmoatically see the percent commplete getting rolled up into a percentage.

Note- If you have weightages fo these activities with you, then i can suggest you an alternate way to get rolled up percentages.

Regards

Amit Parmar