Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hypothetical Question (don't we all love these?!?)

4 replies [Last post]
Shane Harding
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

You arrive at a new facility and have full admin rights with P6.2.1.  You receive a data dump from an unknown database of about 25000 activities.  You have Acitivity Description, Resource Name, Total Budget, Job step number of that particular job plan (1-xxx), Work Order number, Equipment type, Equipment Number, etc.  There is a decent amount of 'scrubbing' to do within excel to get this data into shape in order to import into Primavera.  Plus you need to create all dictionaries: Activity, Resource, Calendars, etc., Create Activity ID's,..etc., etc.

The budgets and resources are in this data dump, but every activity that has more than one resource only has one activity with the multiple resources listed in the same row and the TOTAL budget for that activity. (the duration is the same for all of the resources for that particular Activity)

Would anybody like to take a W.A.G. of how long it would take to import all of this into Primavera from this data dump?

Server is performing fairly well, so that isn't too big of a hurdle.  And you have full admin rights as well.

So to recap.... You have a rough data dump of about 25000 activities that need to get imported into Primavera and I would like a W.A.G. of how long you would tell the PM it will take you just to get the activities into Primavera.  I know there are a lot of variables that can dictate the timeline of getting this accomplished, but use your imagination on this one!

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Shane

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline

Shane,

Do let me know if you need a magic wand that complies with Primavera's API and can be reused any number of times!

Shane Harding
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

Actually it only took me 15 minutes total because I have a magic wand that I used.  I can only use my magic wand two more times throughout the rest of my life, so I really need to be careful the next time I use it.

I could tell you more about my magic wand, but the Wizard that gave it to me will strike me down if I was to do so.

David Kelly

OK, my software team wants me to revise my estimate.  I assumed that your server has enough grunt to support multi-threading. If not 25000 activities could take an hour to upload.

They also think that the configuration for the import that would allow one row in the imput to create mutiple resource records needs you to be at SQL level 102 not 101.... so you might type the configuration wrong a couple of times. that could add half an hour!

If you use the built in import for Excel in P6, we think if you work hard you should still get Thanksgiving off.

David Kelly

Using our LinkSync tool:

Create all dictionaries, allow half an hour to figure out what they are and 15 minutes to load them

25,000 activities with, is it three activity codes? (they take for ever) about 15 minutes.

Of course if you are in America it would take us a day or so to get there and prove it!"