Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

The difference between Primavera Version 3 and Primavera version 6

3 replies [Last post]
Danielle
User offline. Last seen 13 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Since I only have experience of Primavera version 6, can someone please confirm the difference between version 3 and version 6?

Many thanks

Danielle

Replies

Ahmet Ahmetoglu
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar, TILOS

Unfortunately i have to use p3 due to the exceed number of 18000 activities. At the beginning i tried to convert .xer format many times  (also editing regsvr32 after installation) . But i faced  problems with p6. 

First of all p6 is so slow when scheduling the project and also project duration is decreased after importing p3 files although i checked holidays and calender dates. 

There are many advantages of p6 to p3.  But the princibal is same.  Not whole of the work,  just calculator.

Take care.

Danielle
User offline. Last seen 13 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Many thanks Ronald for your advice. 

I have received extensive advice from other users detailing the differences from P3, version 3.1 and P6 version 6. 

It is apparent that there are many opinions on both software products and certain industries prefer using certain Primavera products.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Danielle,

One of the reasons for the lack of response here is that your question is ‘twisted.’  I doubt that you really want to know the difference between Primavera version 6 and version 3.  You want to know the difference between P6, Version 6 and P3, Version 3.1.  P6 and P3 are two different software products.  P3 has never been an earlier version of what we now call P6.

P3 is a 16-bit software that was first released in 1984, was last updated to Version 3.1 in 2001, has been on restricted sale these past two years, and will be completely abandoned by Primavera at the end of this year.  What we now call P6 was introduced by Primavera in 1998, has gone through at least 6 name changes, was at version 3 in 2002 and is currently called P6 (and is at Version 7 right now.)

Look around this site and you will see at least a half-dozen different postings on the differences between P3 and P5 (which is P6, Version 5) and P6.  Good luck!