Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource finish later than activity finish

30 replies [Last post]
Jim Sanders
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Why oh why does P6 let the resources assigned to an activity have a later finish date than the activity finish itself? I can’t think of any reason where this would apply. Is there a setting that enables/prevents this?

Cheers
Jim

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 32 min 50 sec ago. Offline

Make sure drive activity date is tick under the resources tab. See below:

LOE-Test-1

Udaykiran Vanukuru
User offline. Last seen 2 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

I t am having this problem again, I had faced this issue earleir and managed to getback by aligning the Planned start / Finsh dates to start / Finish dates by using the recommendations in this blog. But recently i had faced this issue again but this time Planned start / Finsh dates and start / Finish dates are matching but the problem is still eixsts now. Could any one can help me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Uday

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 47 min ago. Offline

I cannot believe this is still an issue.  Maybe it happened to NASA, they did not figure it out this happened on spacewalk activity out of thousands activities, no overload was reported and got this.

Women-Spacesuits

I wonder what software NASA uses to resolve mission-critical scheduling issues and predict possible problem areas.  It could be a case study if they planned and created a schedule for the mission.

hassab atia
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

U can solve by searching for actual duration =0 activity
and change the Actual Duration to be At least one day 

then make that global change for 
Activty status is equal to completed 

Original duration =Actual duration 

then 2nd global change 
Activty status is equal to completed 

planned start = Actual start 
planned finish =actual finish

now u will not find the problem 

(i know the question is from 2010 but i answer for people who will face it again ) 

David Dubbelboer
User offline. Last seen 1 year 42 weeks ago. Offline

bump...only 8 years later; I'm using P6 R15, and this annoying feature is retained whereby resrouces can disconnect from the activity; I appreciate calendar difference but in some instance, I am talking months of disconnect.

we traced this issue to the infamous planned dates (why do we even need these?)

but then we found that the resrouces now have planned dates (which can in turn be different to the activity planned dates...maybe a carryover from the original planned dates  [?])

is anyone using the latest version of primavera and more importantly has this bug been fixed ?

or maybe it has been addressed and i need to be shown a PP link?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Tariq Khalil
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

if Acutal duration is zero, then this problem will occur, Oracle needs to fix it. Work around is to make Actual duration greater than zero.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

also make sure that you have drive activity dates by default is checked

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

make sure that the resource calendar is using the same calendar as the activities

Delbert Bearden
User offline. Last seen 40 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

I have ran into a similar problem, but not sure if this can be answered here since most of these posts are quite old.

I have a preliminary schedule for a 4 year multi-phased project that is resource/cost loaded over $138 million. Everything is correct when looking at the schedule with times, starts/finishes, and costs.

However, when I go to Resource Assignments everything goes wacky. The start date and costs are correct, but the durations all all wrong changing from 5 days to 3929 and the finish dates are anywhere from 2020 to 2150.

I have check the Planned Start/Finish dates and they match the schedule Start/Finish dates.

It is only in Resource Assignments that they are different. I added columns for Activity Start & Activity Finish and find my variance in the finish dates.

I can get the dates correct by manually changing the Planning Durations to match the Schedule Durations, but I also lose my set resources and costs that cause more changes when I fix those.

Does anyone else get this problem, and do you know how to fix it quickly?

Delbert Bearden
User offline. Last seen 40 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

I have ran into a similar problem, but not sure if this can be answered here since most of these posts are quite old.

I have a preliminary schedule for a 4 year multi-phased project that is resource/cost loaded over $138 million. Everything is correct when looking at the schedule with times, starts/finishes, and costs.

However, when I go to Resource Assignments everything goes wacky. The start date and costs are correct, but the durations all all wrong changing from 5 days to 3929 and the finish dates are anywhere from 2020 to 2150.

I have check the Planned Start/Finish dates and they match the schedule Start/Finish dates.

It is only in Resource Assignments that they are different. I added columns for Activity Start & Activity Finish and find my variance in the finish dates.

I can get the dates correct by manually changing the Planning Durations to match the Schedule Durations, but I also lose my set resources and costs that cause more changes when I fix those.

Does anyone else get this problem, and do you know how to fix it quickly?

This should not happen in any case.

jeff lo
User offline. Last seen 7 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Jim,

it happens if there is a resource lag set on the assigned resource. for instance:

activity a starts from 1 July and ends on 5 July.  a resource with 5 days original duration and 1 day original lag, then the resource would end up on 6 July.

Regards

Jeff

Antonio Romero
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Jim,

I think I've found a solution to your problem, a bit late though, as your post is from 2010!!!

The problem is that your 'planned start' and 'planned finish' dates might be different to your 'star' and 'finish' dates.

Resource Assignments follow planned dates. You can double check this by add an extra column with the planned dates and doing a comparison.

To get this sorted all you have to do is run a global change and make all the planned dates equal to the start and finish dates.

I hope this helps.

Rodel Marasigan
Jim,
Level of Effort will response same as other task except WBS Summary task.
For example:
If you have a Level of Effort link SS to first Activity and FF to last Activity then the Planned date will be based on those activity start and finish date. When the first and succeeding activity is progressed then Level of Effort actual will end on data date and the remaining will follow new last activity finish date. Now if the last activity is move backward then Level of effort finish date will change to new last Activity finish date but the Level of Effort Planned Start and Finish date will still the same. The problem with level of effort baseline is not visible if not define so planner will not aware that the budget resource spread will still using planned date but if you looked on At completion spread it will follow the new finish date. The fixed is always change the OD to equal At Complete so Planned finished date will follow new finished date. That’s not a proper practice but that will solve the problem.
Jim Sanders
Hi Rodel,

Thanks for making the effort in putting a detailed response down.

In your case I assumed that you’re using Task dependent Activity with Fixe Duration and Unit duration type combine with Physical % complete.

The activities that have been affected by this in the past have been level of effort. I can’t remember the exact steps that have caused the problem, but it’s something like this
- Level of effort task with resources assigned.
- for some reason, perhaps when adjusting the resource/work with an incorrect Duration type on some activity, the level of effort activity is extended.
- The activities are corrected to pull the durations back in line. At this point the level of effort duration is fine. However, the resources on the level of effort activity still have the extended duration for the assignment. Therefore, some resources can have effort forecast to occur after the project is complete!

I’ll have to see if I can fabricate this to determine the exact conditions - baseline, activity in progress or not etc.

Cheers
Jim
Rodel Marasigan
Jim,
I understand your frustration which came from the lack of knowledge on the tools that you’re using. It’s normal to all planners when the tools are new to them like what I had felt when I started to this new tools. It happens even when I use MS Project which is so basic and simple but because of lack of knowledge on the software I would not be able to drive it correct until I master it. Same as Primavera and other planning tools we used but once you know how to control and operate the software properly then you can drive it with out any problem.

In regards to your problem, it’s all about understanding of proper settings and functions to be used and software response to those settings.
For Example: Calendar usage
Basic activity type response to calendar:
->Task dependent is depending on Activity calendar wether with resource or not. Resource will use activity calendar even resource has calendar assign to it.
->Resource dependent is depending on Resource calendar and activity date is driven by the resource if “Drive activity date by default” is tick
->Summary band will use Global default calendar even project default is assigned. Project default calendar are used only when adding new activities.

Duration type:
Fixed Duration and Unit and Fixed duration and unit/time is used by Task Dependent activity and Fixed Unit and Fixed unit/time is used by Resource Dependent activity.

Percentage % Complete Type:
Physical -> Dependent on Activity Steps if "Activity percent complete is based on activity step" is selected, if not manual on all actual % and for both settings remaining dates, units or cost are all actual.

Duration-> Date is synchronised with actual % complete and response will depends on Duration type settings.

Units-> Units is synchronised with actual % complete and response will depends on Duration type settings.

These three basic settings will affect your update and must need to learned how they response on each combination used.

Another setting that will affect your update is Project Window-> Calculation tab.

Under Activities if Link Budget At Completion for not started activities is tick these will synchronised with your original duration = remaining duration and if not original duration and manual duration will stay as it is. The responses of these settings are depends on the combination below that affect your activity duration when progress is removed as follows:
->Reset Original Duration and Units to remaining – if tick and progress is removed, remaining duration is become original duration.
->Reset Original Duration and Units to Original – if tick and progress is removed, Original duration will reset to Original and same as remaining.

Under Resource Assignment – Assigned Resource behaviour will be driven by recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complete changes. Meaning if you already input actual unit but duration % complete is not updated then all actual will reset to 0 including new assignments and need manually input again.

In your case I assumed that you’re using Task dependent Activity with Fixe Duration and Unit duration type combine with Physical % complete.
The normal response of Primavera when Physical progress is enters, date will not change and units will not change. If you run the schedule date will be pushed out and resources budget spread will be the same which is finishing using the planned date and not early dates.
Using Physical % complete type, planner must be aware that actual date and remaining date must be entered manually compare to duration % complete which automatically reduce remaining date when % progress is entered.

Planner/user must also aware that budget unit or cost are using planned dates so if the remaining duration is exceeding the planned dates then assigned resources budget unit will not move to new date and finished earlier than new finished date. That is what we called forecast. If you are using resource spread planner should always used At completion Units and not budget unit. These are we call budget vs. forecast which is the same as actual units plus remaining unit. Or use remaining unit if only remaining spread is required.

So what you are experiencing is normal behaviour of software responding on the settings you selected.

Best Regards,
Rodel
Rafael Davila
Jim,

Not even to mimic "cash flow lag" this functionality is justified, is wrong modeling, is allowing the software to bypass logic as to make it easy to the user who want to make changes to resource assignments without doing his homework.

You are so correct in your search for an option to prevent this that I cannot believe P6 does not provide for such an option. I would like to know how in a many thousands activities you filter for activities where this anomaly happens.

Best Regards,
Rafael
Jim Sanders

Hi Jim

Check your resource calendars and work patterns.

Best regards

Mike Testro.

If the resource calendar doesn’t match the project calendar does it cause the dates to become unlinked? The resource assignment date can be weeks after the activity finish date, so it wouldn’t be from a slight difference between two fairly standard calendars.

I’m not using any curves and if I was I could understand the assignment date being earlier than the activity date.

This has happened a few times, where an activity has been adjusted so that it became longer than required then corrected to reduce the duration back. It’s just something that I have to check for these days but I’m just curious as to why it would let it do it and whether there would be any valid occasions for its use.

Thanks for the discussion
Jim
Rodel Marasigan
Anbin,
If everything is fine and check there is only one thing left that will cause that problem. Your Global default calendar is not matching with your activity calendar. Try to check it maybe the reason why.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Anbin

Have you run this problem past the primavera help desk.

There is a P6 guru attached to PP who should be onto things like this.

Life is better with Asta PowerProject.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anbin Ponnith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hai Rodel
Thanks a lot For ur Reply
I Checked the time it also O.K I rescheduled it but it still remain Same
Regards
Anbin Ponnith

Rodel Marasigan
Try to run schedule (F9) if still the same. Normal process when assigning resources it will not allow later resource planned date than activity planned date.
Also check Time:
Another common mistake of Primavera user is negligence on the default time. Primavera default time is 12:00AM which is midnight. (Edit-> Users Preferences-> Dates tab-> Time – must set to 12 hours and change the correct start date and actual date i.e. 8:00AM) If the time is not check prior to Project Start Date and Actual Start date all activities added will use 12:00AM including resource assignment. Meaning if Finish Date is Friday 5:00PM but because 12:00AM is the default and if not check then Friday 12:00AM is not working hours therefore resource will finished at Thursday 5:00PM and not Friday 5:00PM.
Anbin Ponnith
Hai Rodel
Thanks for ur Reply I Checked the Planned Start Date & Planned Finish date its also Correct.
Is There anyother Option
Regards
Anbin Ponnith
Rodel Marasigan
Anbin,
Did you check the Activity Planned Start and Finish date. By default resource use Planned dates and not early dates.
Anbin Ponnith
Hai
I am also facing Same Poblem where Resource start Earlier than activity Early Start for some activity.
I Checked the Following Option
1.Activity Calender
2.Resource Calender(Both are Same)
3.Resource Planned start Date & Planned Finish date
4.Times Format show Time
5.Duration Format in 2 Decimal
6.There is no Resource Curve
7.I also Deleted the Resource Assignment And Assigned it Once Again But Still it Remain Same
How Can i Fix it
Rodel Marasigan
Jim,
Did you assign a resource Curve on your assigned resource? The curve used maybe zero at the end.
Rafael Davila
Mike,

Did you ever have a Torongin, it is from Toronja, Spanish for Grapefruit and Gin. If the grapefruit is freshly squeezed it is very good. But I will go with a Tom Collins, reminds me of my escapades while I was still in high school.

Have a good week end.

Best Regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

That was a five rum resonse if ever I read one.

I hope the rest of the weekend turns out as good.

Best regards

Mike Testro

With a six gin response.
Rafael Davila
Mike,

laissez-faire is in, activities can move in one direction and resources in another direction, the idea is to make everyone get lost, no one will complain.

laissez-faire with BP
laissez-faire with the Banks
laissez-faire with the insurance companies
laissez-faire with increasing medical costs
laissez-faire with CPM, if float can be anything you want it to be (start/finish/smaller) then why not?

Jim,

Among all Primavera products, P3, SureTrak, Pertmaster, P3, P3e, P3ec, P4, P5 and P6 one of the easiest ways to fool CPM logic is to use resource lag, is even easier than constraints. I wonder what effect this have on the resource leveling computations, perhaps similar to the effect of predefined resource usage curves, well they look nice no doubt about it.

I believe within P6 you can even go to the assignments distribution sheet and Bee Pee on it as easy, good reliable software should not allow for this. Yes this make it easy for users who want to break the rules but at the expense of making the computations unreliable, it is wrong.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Jim

Check your resource calendars and work patterns.

Best regards

Mike Testro.