Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Variance values not consistent in P6

4 replies [Last post]
Louie Corbeta
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
All,

I’m not sure if this topic had been discussed in this forum. Anyway, I need help.

The variance values between the baseline program and the current updated program seems odd to me. The current program is behind the baseline program however, when I displayed the Variance – BL Project Finish column, the activity which is behind the baseline shows a positive variance. Whereas, when I looked at the rolled up value in the WBS level, the variance is showing a negative value which is correct I supposed. Here are the details:

WBS Level / Activity Level
BL Project Start: 26Jun08 / 26Jun08          
BL Project Finish: 24Aug08 / 01Jul08
Start (Current): 08Sep08A / 08Sep08A
Finish (Current): 06Jan09A / 11Oct08A
Variance BL Project     
Finish: -109 days / 84 days

Obviously, my question is why the variance in the activity shows positive instead of negative? Did I miss any of the setup?

Regards,
Louie

Replies

Sabaapathy Selvam...
User offline. Last seen 1 day 16 hours ago. Offline

HI ,

Mine i am starting the work ahead but it is showing negative variance ?

Is any one can help out

Louie Corbeta
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks guys for your replies..

At last!! I am enlightened....so, this is one of the bugs in P6. I even tried the sample files from P6 but the results are still the same. Really weird.

By the way, I’m still using the old version of P6.0 that’s why this is coming out. I really need to get a hand on that Fix Pack 1 to resolve this problem. Thanks again guys.

Regards,
Louie
Joel Villanueva
User offline. Last seen 12 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Louie,

See below link, PP post from Ronald Winter for your convenience.

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=&cat=8&Top=38237

Regards,
Joel
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 14 hours 8 min ago. Offline
Louie,
It should be the same. The only reason it will not be the same is if activity level is filtered and WBS level is not.