Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Usage Profile Cummulative Curves

2 replies [Last post]
Brian Yung
User offline. Last seen 9 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Gentlemen,

I am currently re-baselining my schedule which contains activities (with resources assigned) that were completed in the past. While rebaselining, I put my data date to be "today" and when I resource load my past activities and future activities,the cummulative curves does not show what it should.

By that I mean that the budgeted cummulative curve shows that I have nothing budgeted for the "past" activities and then suddenly rises up at a later date to match the "actual units"

can someone help me fix this?

Thanks,

Brian

Replies

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Brian,

The reason why your Budgeted Units (Budgeted Bars) moves it is because, some of the activities already in progress and completed. These activities use the budgeted values with planned dates.

It is also happened when at complete duration is greater than original duration. Try to notice, for those activities still not yet started. Budgeted Units equals to remaining early units.

With regards to your query on how to fix this, save a copy of your current schedule and assign this as your baseline then go to Admin  Admin Preferences  Earned Value Tab, under “Earned Value Calculation” select the “Budgeted values with current dates” then press (F9) or schedule your project.

The other workaround is to create global change, making that
“Planned Start/Finish” equal “Start/Finish” but you need to have the “if condition” that,

“Activity Status” is not equal “Not Started”
“Activity Type” equals “Task Dependent” (If you have milestone in your programme)

This is to avoid error message during running the global change.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Arnold
Michael Ridino
User offline. Last seen 14 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I think I had the same problem on an past schedule. The resources get calculated using the planned start and finish, which can be different from the normal start and finish. Put in columns for planned start and finish as well as start as finish for the activities and see if they match.

If they are different, manually change the planned dates to match and hopefully your curve will be correct.

Mike