Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Procedure in P6/6.2 for to update on a similar file.

3 replies [Last post]
Mohammed Wasiuddin
User offline. Last seen 8 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Hi , I am wasim. Can any one explain me on the following concern please! What is the procedure in P6/6.2 for to update on a similar file, when a subcontractor brought to me with his updated activities on the same.
Ex . Suppose i am working as a main contractor , and my subcontractor (MEP) was submitted his updates on the same file . Then how can i import those updated activities of sub contractor(MEP) into my project file so as to illustrate the total progress of the project on XXXX reporting period.
I tried this with Spreadsheet – (XLS) through export and import, but the outcome is zilch. And I perceived in my file(on which I am working as a main contractor) that, not only those updated subcontractor activities as well as the activities which are related to the subcontractor are not present in the WBS node/activity code . It is like hide if any empty.
Thanking you.

Replies

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mohammed,

My email is primavera6@live.com

Regards.

Mohammed Wasiuddin
User offline. Last seen 8 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Thank you Mr.Arnold,
I did all those consecutive steps as per your reply, but the out come is nil.
Could you please send me your email id so that i can forward my .xer file to you .
my email id is wasim_259@yahoo.co.in
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mohammed,

If I understood you, you are working with the same file with the sub-contractor. Meaning the one he is updating came form your master plan, with the Activity ID, Activity Name, WBS, so on & so forth. Only the difference is the Data Date, Actual Start & Finish, % Complete, Units & etc...

If this is the case, all you have to do is the following:

1. Export those sub-contractor updated activities to Excel sheet.
2. When you are trying to export from P6 to spreadsheet, use only the Export Type as “Activities”.
3. From default, add the Actual Start & Finish and Physical % Complete or Performance % Complete however, these two % cannot be modified in Excel sheet. You have to create a UDF and run the Global change or if not you can do it manually.
4. The WBS Code must be the same with the one you have. WBS Code is the combination of Project ID and each sequence number of the WBS Code.
5. Afterwards, import the said file to P6 then select schedule (F9) by changing the data date.

Let me know if you did it. Otherwise, send me your .xer file and I will help you how to do it.

HTH.

Arnold