Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Excel Import/Export Resource data problem P6

29 replies [Last post]
Izam Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 7 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,

I do need some helping hands from you all on this basic problem.

The problem is when I exporting (Budget labor units,Resource name and ID) to excel then do some modification/amemndment on that column. After while importing back that excel file to P6 but i didn’t see any changes on my schedule. It’s still remain as previous.

I did this as what I did in P3 but it is still error.

I guess my P6 software have a problem

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

you can ammend a column

VIKAS KULKARNI
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 21 hours ago. Offline

Thanks for your reply Dear Mr. Izam Zakaria.

I am trying to import just all the "Resource Names" - I tried many times, but in vain. 

I tried searching for YouTube Videos where only "Resource Names" are imported - But could not find a single such video.

I added 2 resources manually in Primavera i.e. NLD-21 & NLD-22 with all details & then exported to Excel with the following fields - Using the Resource Export - 

rsrc_short_namersrc_namersrc_typeunit_idrole_iddef_qty_per_hrmax_qty_per_hr
Resource IDResource Name(*)Resource TypeUnit of Measure(*)Role IDDefault Units / Time(h/d)(*)Max Units/Time(h/d)
rsrc_short_namersrc_namersrc_typeunit_idrole_iddef_qty_per_hrmax_qty_per_hr
Resource IDResource Name(*)Resource TypeUnit of Measure(*)Role IDDefault Units / Time(h/d)(*)Max Units/Time(h/d)
NLD-21ParthibanLabor  812
NLD-22VijayLabor  812
NLD-23VIKASLabor  812
NLD-24ANILLabor  812
NLD-25SumitLabor  812

Then I opened the Excel file and deleted all other resources which are not part of the current project and added 3 more resources i.e. NLD-23, NLD-24 & NLD-25 with details as specified above.

Then I imported this resource added Excel file in Primavera - But these newely added 3 resources do not get imported even though Primavera displays that the "Import was successful" - I tried atleast 15 different Permutations & Combinations of adding and deleting fields, etc, etc but its not working out. The newely added 3 resources are Not Imported.

Can you tell me why? And what to do?

With Thanks & Best Regards

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

If you are trying to import Resources through the excel import / export in P6 you have to use the Resource Export & not the Resource Assignment option.

The tab named RSRC does allow for the Resource Name to be imported.

Regards,

Steven

VIKAS KULKARNI
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 21 hours ago. Offline

Can you please explain how to import the "Resource Names" because the exported excel file has an Asterix (*) in the Resource Name field and is therefore "Un-editable" and ignored by P6 during import.   
Zoltan Palffy

check your filters for the missing activities

for cost issue make sure that calculate cost from units is set to no for ALL activities.  

mariam salama
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hello for all I have problem when i expert exel sheet with activity name and id it comming sheet empty in task no id .no actovity name .idonot know why ?
Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Keith,

As Zoltan stated earlier, there appears to be a bug in some of the Microsoft updates installed on the 10th October.

These contained updates to the Microsoft Jet Database Engine & it appears to be causing Database issues with Microsoft Access as well.

There appears to be a couple of Microsoft updates that may be causing the issue depending on Windows Version.

See link below for possible solutions:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/45ebe780-967e-4748-a146-9ec7a15626dc/unexpected-error-from-external-database-driver-1?forum=itmanagerOn 

Please note that this bug has been reported to Oracle (Last Update 6th November):

https://support.oracle.com/knowledge/More%20Applications%20and%20Technologies/2317408_1.htmlHope this helps.

Steven

Keith Elliott
User offline. Last seen 6 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Everyone,

I am receiving the message "Exort failed. Unexpected error from external datadase driver (1). Please contact your administrator to correct the problem.

Any input/ help is more than appreciated.

Keith

Keith Elliott

Hello Everyone,

I am receiving the message "Exort failed. Unexpected error from external datadase driver (1). Please contact your administrator to correct the problem.

Any input/ help is more than appreciated.

Keith

Keith Elliott

Hello Ali,

I am experiencing the same problem and was wondering if you ever received a solution?

Thanks

Zoltan Palffy

there is also a bug what version are you using ?

Ali Reza
User offline. Last seen 6 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Zolfan, 

Thank you for your reply.

This problem was from first and it is not new.

We were not able export to excel. I dont know it is microsoft problem or P6 admin access problem. 

Zoltan Palffy

ALi 

if this problem jsut recently happend it is do to an udate from Microsoft foe excel. Roll back the microsoft update and it wil work again 

Ali Reza

Hi everybody, 

Please help me to solve my problem. 

I cannot export schedule from P6 to excel. The below error message is coming:

"Export failed. Unexpected error from external database driver (1) please contact your administrator to correct the problem."

Please advice me how to solve this problem. 

Ali Reza

Hi everybody, 

Please help me to solve my problem. 

I cannot export schedule from P6 to excel. The below error message is coming:

"Export failed. Unexpected error from external database driver (1) please contact your administrator to correct the problem."

Please advice me how to solve this problem. 

Gaurav Yadav
User offline. Last seen 12 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Ankit Singh,

There is an option in excel through which you could import csv file, to import csv file first of all open Microsoft Excel and go to Data option, here you will see an option where you can import data from external resource such as txt, xml, form web resources etc.  But in case If you want to use any third party software to perform such kinds of action, you should be download MindStick DataConverter. This is very efficient tool through which you can perform many such type of actions and saved file in many extensions, basically it's free charge tool so you have not any difficulty to download it.

MindStick DataConverter Download Link: http://mindstick.com/Product/ProductDC.aspx

I hope it might be useful for you.

Ankit Singh

Hello Everyone,
I'm posting this question here because I haven't found found option for creating <strong>New Thread, </strong>Actually I have been suffering with one problem since two days I want to import CSV data into excel file and export it in SQL file format, so I want to whether any option or efficient tool to solve this problem. Please resolve my problem as soon as possible or give me any valuable suggestion. </p><p>Thanks in advance!</p>

Ankit Singh

Hello Everyone,

I'm posting this question here because I haven't found found option for creating New Thread, Actually I have been suffering with one problem since two days I want to import CSV data into excel file and export it in SQL file format, so I want to whether any option or efficient tool to solve this problem. Please resolve my problem as soon as possible or give me any valuable suggestion.

Thanks in advance!

Ankit Singh

Hello Everyone,

I'm posting this question here becuase I have'nt found found option for creating New Thread, Actually I have been suffering with one problem since two days I want to import CSV data into excel file and export it in sql file format, so I want to whether any option or efficient tool to solve this problem. Please resolve my problem as soon as possibleor give me any valuable suggestion to me.

Thanks in advance!

Michael Lepage
User offline. Last seen 40 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Well, this might be a bit late, but for others who might be struggling with importing updates from excel, I've put together a step by step video tutorial with a real-world project example.  If you're interested, have a look https://www.planacademy.com/excellerate-your-updates-how-to-import-your-subcontractors-primavera-updates-from-excel/

Also, on re-importing data, all excell data must be of "TEXT" type for the reimport to work.  It's all outlined in the post.

Regards,

Michael

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kevin,

Just now, I did the exercise but it’s works fine. I think you can send me your .xer file @ primavera6@live.com and I will try to fix it.

Anyway, how did you export your data to excel? I think you miss something.

Regards,

Arnold
Kevin Li
User offline. Last seen 9 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Arnold,

Sorry for getting back to you late. The problem is that when I choose to export both the activities & relationships. I added to export both ’predecessor name’ & the ’successor activity names’. When I open the excel file, I found that I got the first 4 letters of the activity name under these two columns. I did get the complete activity names at the ’activity name’ column.
Arnold Puy
Hi Kevin,

First of all, WELCOME to Planning Planet.

I tried to export the Activity name but I got a complete name and text similar to the P6.

Can you explain a little bit in detail.

Regards,

Arnold

Kevin Li
User offline. Last seen 9 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
When I export activity ID, Name, and relationships to excel in P6, I got only the frist few letters in the Activity Name column. Anyone can tell me how to modify the length of the exported text in P6?

I knew how to do this in P3.
Izam Zakaria
A big thanks to you. It’s really useful
Arnold Puy
Hi Izam,

First of all, thanks for appreciating my assistance. I am happy to help.

Regarding to your query, to assign resources using excel sheet:

1. Create first the resources in Primavera 6 Windows.
2. After creating, export to excel all the activities don’t have resources assign.
3. make sure that your export type is "Resource Assignment" and include the "Resource ID", Activity ID and Activity Name & Budgeted Units (If necessary).
4. In Resource ID (rsrc_id) column, assign only the unique Resource ID (This is the Resources you newly created in Primavera 6 Windows) to that particular Activity ID & Name and put the units under the “Budgeted Units” column.

Try this and let me know, otherwise I will send you the steps.

Regards,

Arnold
Izam Zakaria
But Arnold,

What about if the activites have no resource name and ID which I want to assign the resource via excel? Sorry again I need your help.
Izam Zakaria
It’s work man. How naive I’am. I thought it was same implemetation with P3. Anyway thank u so much Mr Great Planning Engineer Arnold Puy.You really make my day.
Arnold Puy
Hi Izam,

If you will export Resources assigned to your activities, try to use only the the Export Type "Resource Assignments" and include the "Budgeted Units" & Resource ID Name" in your column, just to avoid confusion. Some of the column title having the symbol of (*) cannot be modified in Excel.

Let me know if you did it otherwise, I can send you the steps.

Regards,

Arnold