Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Migrating from P6 Standalone on to Citrix Server

5 replies [Last post]
Jose Valdez Marcos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,

My company is currently on a 30-day trial P6 license installed onto Citrix server with Primavera. Within this period, I am logging all my notes, error messages, etc. which I encountered while using P6 online. Once I am confident in using P6 in Citrix, then my company will consider buying the full license and uninstall the standalone license in my desktop. But before we do this, we’ll make sure that this is 100% fool-proof and working properly.

The scenario is like this: I have just imported my fully-resourced schedule (xer file) from my standalone PC to the cerver. I opened this project in Citrix, and went to Project -> WBS. I have just updated my schedule Earned Value Report with %WT (I used cost rather than unit)for my activity resource assignment. I noticed that the project’s total percentage weighting (%Wt.) now excedds 100%. In my standalone program, this is exactly 100%. I guess that this is due to some settings in the Citrix. Before the import, I checked that the Admin and User Preferences in Citrix are the same with my standalone setting.

Would anyone here got the fix to restore my projects WBS total % wtg. to 100%? Any other tips on this subject are very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jose Marcos

Replies

Trevor Williams
User offline. Last seen 8 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Dieter is correct, if ever possible export and PDF to your citrix server. A typical server setup is that both your application and your schedule file reside on the same server. So what you see on your PC is best described as a picture of what is happening on the server. In other words all the algorithms when you reschedule your file are on the server and not being transferred via net work cables from your server to your PC and back. Keeping your data on the server keeps all calculations local to that server and much faster.

We run P6 on a dedicated server so that seems to help with the speed as well. Currently we are experiencing little or no problems with regard to running a citrix environment.

Trevor
Jose Valdez Marcos
Dieter,

Thanks for help. I’ll try to contact our IT and see if we have an existing home directory within Citrix environment for P6 export.

Regards,
Jose
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Jose

Don’t worry for P6 under Citrix.
Time for export is one of the items in my previous post. Do export only into the Citrix environment, then via Windows explorer to your pc - analogue for import. IT has to install a home directory for you within the Citrx environment. It seems that P6-export and Citrix block each other if you export directly onto your pc.

By the way in Germany many companies use Primavera through Citrix.

Regards
Dieter
Jose Valdez Marcos
Dieter,

Thanks for sharing your Primavera experience in Citrix environment. Good to know that P6 is working ok in your case, which is quite reassuring.

Going back to the imported project in Citrix, no, I didn’t reschedule and after I rescheduled, my weightage still exceeds 100%. Yes, maybe due to rounding.

Another instance, when I tried to export the project to my local drive, it’s taking soo long (more than 1 hr. and still exporting) until my pc got hung up and I shutdown my pc. I thought the server is busy. As I am getting used to working in Citrix, I have to log back to the server from time to time.

Cheers,
Jose

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Jose
Some years ago I worked with Primavera under a Citrix environment. Where I’m working now, we transferred to Citrix last November. After all IT related items are solved, it works ok.
Typically these items are:
- Routing for printouts
- Import/export from/to the server then move to local pc via explorer
- Country settings
- Access rights (A fight against Citrix admins who like to be much too restrictive.)

"100% fool-proof and working properly": As the biggest program error in general is between two ears and sitting in front of a pc or terminal, 100%-foolproof is impossible.
Our environment is working properly.
The weightage of more than 100% sounds nice. It reminds me to election results in communist countries. I’ve never seen in Primavera. Did you reschedule? Maybe it was rounding due to different settings of the environments - your pc and citrix server. I have no idea.

Good luck
Dieter