Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to filter activities with external predecesors?

4 replies [Last post]
Sean Moghimi
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

What kind of filter or other measures I should use in P6 to get only activities with external (from other projects) predecessors in a project? I want to have an easy way of monitoring activities that can be effected by other projects.

Any ideas?
Thanks fellows...

Replies

Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Shahab,

You can run an Activity Relationships report, apply the following filter "Where ’Predecessor Project’ ’does not equal’’Select your current Project from the list’.

Group the Report by Activity.

Once you have the definitive list, you can then nick a udf field to use to flag these activities and filter in the activity view.

Alternatively, if the external links are proper external (i.e. from projects not held on your db [i.e. if you’re a subbie on a project within a larger linked portfolio], you can simply filter within the activity view "where ’external early start’ ’does not equal’ ’blank’ OR ’external late finish’ ’does not equal’ ’blank’

Hope the above helps,

Gordon
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Shahab,

You can run an Activity Relationships report, apply the following filter "Where ’Predecessor Project’ ’does not equal’’.

Group the Report by Activity.

Once you have the definitive list, you can then nick a udf field to use to flag these activities and filter in the activity view.

Alternatively, if the external links are proper external (i.e. from projects not held on your db [i.e. if you’re a subbie on a project within a larger linked portfolio], you can simply filter within the activity view "where ’external early start’ ’does not equal’ ’’ OR ’external late finish’ ’does not equal’ ’’

Hope the above helps,

Gordon
Sean Moghimi
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Naveen,

Thanks for this reply. You are right but these are the hard way of getting the result. I was wondering a simple filter or way to get the activities with external predecessors. Unfortunately searching for specific activity ID or activity title is not a good way in my projects since they come with very different ID’s and names.

Any other filters or solutions?
Any other eager fellow?
Naveen Subbaiah
User offline. Last seen 13 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Shahab,

If your external project had a different set of activity IDs that begin with specific set of characters, then the easiest way is to filter predecessors that starts with "enter those characters.
Alternate way is to run a report with activities & predecessors as subject areas to get activities with predecessors from external projects. But in this case, you have to mention the external projects (in the filter) from where the predecessor is linked from.

Regards
Naveen