Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Cost Distribution in early and late dates

5 replies [Last post]
Johnny Xu
User offline. Last seen 5 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

In P3, when it comes to cost loading, I create a dummy resource, say “cost”, and apply this dummy resource “cost” to an activity with budgeted cost. Adding up all activities’ budgeted cost gives the project cost. I can then run tabular report to get early dates and late dates cost distribution (monthly cost distribution), and from there, I can plot the project cost “S” curve in early and late envelope.

In P6, because the resource is associated with cost, there is no budgeted cost to apply to an activity’s resource (in P6, you define a resource’s unit cost, say $10/h. When assigning the resource to an activity, the budgeted cost is automatically calculated (original duration x $10/h)). So I have to use the “expense” as the equivalent way of “budgeted cost” to assign to the activities.

Now comes the cost distribution. I can only get the early dates distribution (under “activity usage spreadsheet” or “activity usage profile”). Is there any way to get both early dates and late dates cost monthly distribution, so that I can plot out the project cost “S” curve envelope?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Replies

Johnny Xu
Hi,

After further exploration, I realised that even if I use “rate source” as “override”, when I move the bar, the budgeted cost automatically switches to the formula “budgeted cost=original duration x unit / price”. Only after I uncheck the “Calculate costs from units” under “resources”, can I assign budgeted cost to an activity without being affected by the movement of the bar.

Also, I can go to “Project > Resource Assignment” to get early and late cost distribution. This is good enough for me to copy the data to Excel.

Thanks.

Johnny
Johnny Xu
Dieter,

Thanks a lot. It works when I choose the “rate source” as “override” under "resource" of the activity detail.

But for late dates, there is no figure to show the cost distribution, only the graph. I still need to explore the report part to find both early and late dates cost load distribution so that I can export to Excell for S curve presentation.

Thanks and regard.

Johnny
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Johnny
View Activities, detail tab resources you can ad columns. Moe mouse into that area --> right click --> columns. In the category general you can find "rate source". To learn the meaning of a data item switch on "hint help", e.g. view --> hint help.
In genera Primavera takes the budgeted costs from a resource rate. Here you can indicate to use the budgeted price you entered.
Hope this helps
Dieter
Johnny Xu
Dieter,

Can you please elaborate it?

Thanks.

Johnny
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Johnny
Did you check for "Rate source"="override" together with the resource usage profile or -spreadsheet?
Regards
Dieter