Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Exporting from P3e to Suretrak 3b

5 replies [Last post]
Diane Armstrong
User offline. Last seen 16 years 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
We have someone who is sending us a program from P3e. Our understanding is that it must be exported to .prx (P3 3.1 format).

I don’t have any idea what the person needs to do to get it to .prx format. Is this SAVE AS or EXPORT?

Also... does this create just one .prx file? Or is it a series of files which he must send me.

I received a .prx file from him today but Suretrak didn’t recognize it. I selected both P3 and Group Projects.

Do I need to IMPORT or just open the project?

thanks for any help

Diane

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Diane
In P3 the function you need is "Merge": Tools --> Project Utilities --> ...
Check, if it’s included in Suretrack.
Good luck!
Dieter
Diane Armstrong
This helps ... anyway to save the formatting when coming over from P3e?

Currently we are needing to tweak the settings everytime the file gets sent back to us with changes... ie apply filters, start/end dates. etc.

Diane
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Okay, here is an ‘Old Timer’s Trick.’ PRX files are really just self-running zip files. You don’t even need P3 or SureTrak to unpack them. Take the file with a PRX extension and do the following.

Simply use Windows Explorer and “run” the PRX file by double clicking on it (or right-click / Open.) A nifty little window will open titling itself, “Self Extracting Project.” Use the directory navigator to select the drive and directory you want the .P3 files to be placed in (say, “C:\P3WIN\PROJECTS” ) and click on the Extract button.

Problem solved. The 10 – 19 different .P3 files that make up a project will be placed in the directory and ready to be used by SureTrak or P3, as desired.) Good luck!
Diane Armstrong
Thanks Dieter... that did the trick.

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Diane
prx is the back-up format. You’ll have to restore the prx first (under tools --> project utilities; source and target must be in different directories!). Then you can open the project.
But be aware: Suretrak is "P3 light". There might be a restriction violated by your project.
Your colleague first exported the project to P3, then opened it in P3, and created a back-up - the prx.
Regards
Dieter