Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS level duration in PM5/6

2 replies [Last post]
Alexandre Faulx-B...
User offline. Last seen 1 year 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Planners
Who explain the following discrepancies between the original duration of a sequence of tasks and of the corresponding WBS level?
I have scheduled 4 tasks on line with Finish to Start links, no delays; the total duration of the sequence is 55 days, starting the 1st of September 2007, and finishing the 18th of November; the working week is Sat - Wed and I have entered 2 holidays: Oct 13 and 14.
A) Why does PM5 / PM6 show a 54 day duration for the WBS level? I have checked the number of working days between Sept 1 in the morning and Nov 18 in the evening: 55
B) Why does PM5 change the WBS level duration to 52 when I delete the additional days off, and not when I only delete Oct 13?
I have carefully checked that both the project and the tasks are using the same calendar; this calendar is not PM5’s default calendar; I have checked that the Admin and User Preferences Units are according to the calendar, i.e. one week = 40 hours
I do have the same problem when using PM5 and PM6 on several PCs, and in several projects
Thanks for your help,
Alexandre

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
The duration shown in a WBS activity is based on the WBS activity’s calendar. When you press F9, the WBS duration is back-calculated based on it’s start and finish dates on the calendar you have chosen.

***** NOTE ******

The duration of a level-of-effort activity is based on the Early dates of the hammocked activities, a WBS summary is based on Planned dates BE CAREFULL!!
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Salut Alexandre
For the summary bars always the default calendar is used.
There are already some threads on this item. Have a look at
http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=8&Top=43946
Regards
Dieter