Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Exporting Long time-phased data to Excel

3 replies [Last post]
Jubin Ahdi
User offline. Last seen 15 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

I’m facing a problem here. I use P3e V5.0 to control a 3-4 yrs project.

I used to prepare my S-Curves before in excell by exporting the Budgeted Labour Units to excel in monthly time buckets. it would export data with 4*12=48 columns totally.

Now I have to prepare my s-curves from 10th of each month (10th Jan to 9th Feb / 10th Feb to 9th Mar / etc...)

For that reason, I tried to export all the time phased data (Budgeted Labour Units) on a daily basis... then I was planning to summerize the data from 10th of each month up to 9th of the next month.

But again I failed... I am able to prepare such a report and save it either as HTML or TXT. But Excel can not get it throughly....
I think maybe it’s becuase that would require excel to have 48*30 columns (1440 columns) which it seems that Excel can not deliver.

Please advise how can I export big chunks of data to excel without any issue.

Replies

DANG CORP
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Ronald,

I made the first same assumption as well.

the main reason is because if you happen to open up an old excel file, excel 2007 is smart to know. to work in COMPATIABLE MODE ,,, which is only 256 columns.

Info One:
=================
1. Launch Excel 2007
2. Click file new (so you get a brand new book)
3. and check if you get the same as me Ronald.

Info Two: from Microsoft
=================
http://www.google.com/search?q=excel+2007+max+column&rls=com.microsoft:*...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730921.aspx

Kind Regards,

Vu Dang

Kind Regards,
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Vu,

MY Office 2007 Excel is limited to 256 columns, making the last column "IV". Excel has had a limit of 256 columns ever since it was introduced.
DANG CORP
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

solution 1:
--------------
office 2007 can handle more than 1440 columns.

solution 2:
--------------
1. do your export in 3 files,
2. file 1 is for first year
3. file 2 is for second year and so on...
4. then have 1 master excel file that reference those 3.

Note:
* You can use a batch report to export it all together at once etc....

Kind Regards,

Vu Dang