Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Entering Actual Hours/Costs at WBS level - P5

3 replies [Last post]
beck lee
User offline. Last seen 16 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me..

I am just starting to implement P5 in our company, but as the company already has an established timesheet/accounting program, will not be using P5’s timesheet function. To track actual hours/costs I will have to download these from the existing timesheet database (which I understand should be easy). However, since the lowest level that hours are booked to is at the WBS level, I won’t be able to manually input actual hours/costs per activity.

Am I able to input actual hours/costs per WBS item?

This would allow me to still use P5’s graphs and reports summarised up to WBS level, rather than copying the information to a customised excel report and entering actuals there.

All comments and suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 1 min ago. Offline
No worries Beck,

Please note that you should prorate it only on the activities moves on that cut-off period and not for all activities. Also make sure that all previously completed activities are not included on your update so it will not change the previous actual units when you done the update.

Regards,
Rodel
beck lee
User offline. Last seen 16 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks for the prompt reply Rodel..

I was pretty much expecting that reply.. good idea about prorating the actuals though.. a bit fiddly.. but i suppose the best way.. if only I could convice the company to use the timesheet function!!..

Thanks again!

Beck
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 1 min ago. Offline
Hi Beck,

The simple answer is “NO” but you can create a WBS summary activity and have it resource to that level so you can track actual man-hour per WBS summary. It will produce same normal report as you required such as S-curve and tabular.

If your have resource your programme down to activity level, another option is to export your data into excel format and update it from your downloaded accounting data and prorate it against your assigned units as your weight factor. Then import it back to P5 to update your programme. This will gave same result for WBS level point of view.

Regards,
Rodel