Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MPP Export from P5

2 replies [Last post]
Matt Rudge
User offline. Last seen 15 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

Last night I started to export a project from P5 to MPP to send to site.

Used an existing template which I have used before and started the process.

The resources copied over in less than a minute but the activities took 15 hours to copy over and the this was without the relationships!

I eventually killed after some 18 hours with an overall completion of 83%!!!

I have copied similar projects over before in a few minutes, does anyone know why this one is taking s long???

A little more info..

I am running completely locally as we are still fine tuning our Citrix database connection. This I would have thought would’ve made things quicker!

Replies

Matt Rudge
User offline. Last seen 15 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Ronald,

Thanks for the reply. Tried purging deletes as you recommended but this didn’t really speed things up.

In the end I exported as MPX files which appears to have carried across all logic and resource information except calendars.

So after creating the calendars in the MSP global view was able to change the resource calendars and level. This got the dates within 24-48 hours which was ok.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
This is a classic symptom of failing to purge deletes before exporting. Try Admin / Purge Deletes before exporting next time. Also, once you interrupt a process like this, I find that MSDE gets ‘all tangled up’ and works much faster if you first re-boot. Good luck!