Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

UnLinking of %Complete(of Duration Type) with RD

2 replies [Last post]
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 1 hour ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Planners,

We have a facility in P3 to unlink remaining duration and schedule percent complete in Autocost rules area. I can find something similar in P3 E/C 5.0 under calculations tab of Project Details Window but could not exactly figure out what i want to do it there. Autocompute Actuals option is working for resources only not for durations. I want to update percentage field(%type is duration)that should not change my remaining duration in P3 E/C 5.0. I hope someone can help me in this regard.

Also if the duration type is of Physical %, changes in percentage completion doesn’t affect the remaining duration. Whether we have to change the remaining duration manually (or using some gimmicks in global change for automatic changes). Is there anyother alternative way to achieve it?.

Thanking in anticipation.

Regards

Daya

Replies

Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 1 hour ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello David,

Thanks for your reply. Its really found to be useful.

Cheers!!!

Daya
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline
Daya,

There is no direct equivalent of P3’s percent complete rules in P3e.

If I understand you correctly, you wish to reduce the remaining manhours by updating the percent complete figure, and change remaining duration independently. I.E. exactly the P3 3.1 arithmetic if you disconnect percent complete and remaining duration in the "autocost" rules.

You cannot do this in P3e. The closest you can get is to use the "Physical" percent complete type (which does not change RD or remaining resources) and use Global Change to effect the change you want to RD and Remaining units. Note that Global change in P3e does not join the Activity table to the Resource table as completely as P3 3.1, so the global change you use to update the remaining hours will have to recalculate percent complete as RD/OD*100.

Note that the "units percent complete" duration type’s arithmetic is Actual Quantity/At completion quantity, not Earned quantity/ Budget quantity as you might expect coming from a P3 3.1 environment.