Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Crystal Reports and Primavera V5

6 replies [Last post]
Brian Cameron
User offline. Last seen 15 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi
Does anyone have experience of using Crystal Reports interfaced to Primavera (V5 preferably).

I have found a few things like start and finish dates, project I.D.’s, roles, resources. What I still need to find is durations, activity ID’s.

The Schema tables available through the SDK common files are useful but it is just a maze to me.

Any help would be useful.

Regards

Brian.

Replies

John Garay
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
If you are just getting started creating reports from Primavera, I humbly suggest that you also consider DecisionEdge products. We specialize in new and improved charts and reports from Primavera, and our DecisionEdge Designer is a toolkit that can help you jump-start your efforts to create the specific Primavera charts and reports you need.

We already have more than 120 bundled charts and reports from Primavera - perhaps one of these will do what you need it to do? Or perhaps one will work with just a slight modification?

If you’re interested, please contact me directly - I would be happy to help you get the charts and reports you need.

Regards,
John Garay
DecisionEdge, Inc.
jgaray@decisionedge.com
http://www.decisionedge.com
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
If you want the API I believe it is available at no charge now - ask your dealer. I take your point about learning Java though!
Brian Cameron
Hi Mario

I have had a look around for information. The knowledge base in Primavera has a bit of detail in it.
The API is on one of the CD’s we have (CD 4) but there would need to be a license acquired to use it, our current license doesn’t cover the API.
Another drawback would be that I would have to pick up on Java programming, which I don’t have the time for. So I guess I will persevere with Crystal Reports, the standard reports from Primavera and edited/customised Primavera reports.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Brian.
Mario Sanvitale
Hi Brian - V5 was the first version to be shipped with the API, so it may not have been installed. The API is on a separate CD with the update.
Brian Cameron
Thanks Mario

I’ve just had a look at the knowledge base and downloaded some API information, (Admin Guide, Release Notes)I’ll check it out and see what I can make of it.

As far as I know we didn’t have any API installation when V5 was installed.
Or we weren’t informed of it, something new to find out about!!

Regards

Brian.
Mario Sanvitale
Have you tried the API rather than the SDK? This is what you can transfer through it.

Activities
Activity codes
Activity feedback and notes
Activity relationships
Activity steps
Budget change logs
Calendars
Cost accounts
Expense categories
Notebook topics
OBS
Overhead codes