Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Showing two different schedules on the same view

10 replies [Last post]
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
In P3e, if we want to show two different schedules on the same view (for comparison or other reasons), what are the most easiest suggestions?

Thanks & Regards,
J. Daniel

Replies

Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Interesting discussion, If Claim digger degrades the performance, the simplest way is to use excel workbook to compare the changes as Niek suggested.

Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
J Daniel wrote "Can you elaborate and explain more how to resolve this issue of Claim Digger’s jam? "

Primavera improved the response time of Claim Digger in 4.1 service pack 1. It actually may not be "jammed", but taking a long time depending on the size of your project and the amount of fields you are comparing.

Regards,
Bill
Jihad Daniel
Dear Bill,

Your statement: "If Claim Digger " is always jamming at a certain percentage", then I suggest downloading the latest service patch from Primavera’s download page. There were significant performance improvements made to Claim Digger in 4.1 sp1. I suspect this will resolve your issues".

Can you elaborate and explain more how to resolve this issue of Claim Digger’s jam?

Thanking you in advance.

J. Daniel

Bill McMichael
"Claim Digger" and "Schedule Analyzer" are the same. Different brands of Primavera (Engineering and Construction versus IT Project Office) use different terminology. But functionality they are equivalent. It comes with Primavera and although it can be run as a standalone application, it is also installed as a menu item to be run within Project Manager application.

And I agree this is the appropriate tool to use to compare schedules.

If Claim Digger " is always jamming at a certain percentage", then I suggest downloading the latest service patch from Primavera’s download page. There were significant performance improvements made to Claim Digger in 4.1 sp1. I suspect this will resolve your issues.

Regards,
Bill
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 1 week ago. Offline
Once installed Schedule Analyzer runs as a menu option in P3e (under tools) so you won’t notice from that respect.

It is the only tool that is available to compare schedules (as far as I know) but if you don’t want to use it I’m out of suggestions I’m afraid.

Outside P3e you can push the whole lot into Excel and use the database features, to eliminate duplicates and concentrate on the changes.

Cheers,

Niek.
Jihad Daniel
Thanks Neik but I don’t want to use an external software or application (as I mentioned, I have Claim Digger which, if properly working,can give me a detailed report of the changes). I want to do the comparisons using the options available in P3e.

Regards,
J. Daniel
Niek Zonneveld
If you are using 4.x and SQL or Oracle as DB, there is a utility called schedule analyzer which will allow to compare a schedule with a baseline or another schedule.

It is a separate (java) application that needs to be installed seperately and it goes straight into the database.

Hope this helps,

Niek.
Jihad Daniel
The issue is that I got one modified program having same WBS and activity codes of the original one. I need to compare the revised with the baseline to see what are the differences made on the first one. They are both worked on P3e. I can list herebelow different ways to do this comparison as follows:
1- Use the Claim Digger (unfortunately it is always jamming at a certain percentage)
2- Use the baseline as target and superpose both schedules on the same view.
3- Open both projects and compare each activity having same Id.
4- Compare manually by checking each activity, etc.

But, I am searching for another easiest way to do this comparison like grouping each two activities having same Id, schedule on separate view, etc.

Do you have another suggestions?

Regards,
J. Daniel
Niek Zonneveld
If the WBS’s are the same you can also use WBS path

Cheers,

Niek.
Bill McMichael
To show different schedules, open up both projects.

On the Activities View, Choose View/ Group & Sort , choose projects. This will organize your activities by Project, allowing you to do comparisons.

I would also look at the "Tracking View" . This is a multipaned view that allows you to analyze data across projects.

If you have Portfolio Analysis tool, this has a compare feature which may provide the reporting functionality for which you are interested.

Regards,
Bill