Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baseline!!

4 replies [Last post]
Ahu Guclu
User offline. Last seen 12 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi evryone,
i am a new user of p3ec and i need somebody to clear that if a baseline has the meaning of "backup".
thanks..

Replies

P3e can store up to 50 baselines and can display up to 3.

I would normaly back-up historic baselines that I may need in the future if the 50 quota was exceeded.

Note that you can also restore baselines as projects if you wish. I use this facility when major re-scheduling takes place so that I can easily compare the changes.

Regards

Dave
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
I think you can use export option in p3e to export the project and keep it as a backup. by the way, everything is stored in central database, your database admin has to backup the database periodically, so you don’t need worry about your p3files which is residing in the centralised database.
Ahu Guclu
User offline. Last seen 12 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
THANKS Chris,

But i wonder that: in P3 for example we do backup montly and use it reporting to see the progress. In P3ec how do we do the that???
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ahu,

In the organisation I work for, baseline and backup are not the same.

A Baseline is a document or set documents which form a snapshot of a position or situation within a project or phase of a project. Although the position may be updated later, the baseline remains unchanged and available as a reminder of the original state and as a comparison against the current position. Products that have passed their quality checks and are approved are baselined products. Anything ‘baselined’ should be under version control in configuration management and ‘frozen’, i.e. no changes to that version are allowed.

A Backup is a copy of the current situation taken for security purposes, which is updated on a regular basis, usually by making a fresh copy of the current situation.

Hope this helps.

Chris Oggham