Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 to P3e/c

6 replies [Last post]
Anil Godhawale
User offline. Last seen 13 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi all,

I currently have P3 (Version 3.1) on my PC.

Now, if i install the upgrade version of P3 e/c on my PC, how long can i work on both the softwares i.e, P3 & P3e/c..?

Also, if specific durartion gets lapsed, do my P3 license becomes invalid ?
Can i continue to use both P3 & P3e/c as long as i want?
Please let me know if you didnt get my question..

Regards,

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
can you just post?
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

Thanks for the prompt response. From your replies i got fair idea about the subject. I wrote a detailed mail to P3 guys on this subject. They have replied me back with saying that they will get back to me at the earliest. I will post that reply once i get them..

Thanks,

Anil Godhawale,

P.S : Apologize for writing without logging in..
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
The "lapping period" can be negotiated with Primavera. This is a copyright issue rather technical. For upgrade, Primavera will have the licence diskette back (if you purchase the product before v3.0 release).

Later if Primavera release any patch or others which need the licence, installation is not allowed.
Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
I have had P3e/c since about March this year, and have used both P3e/c and P3 (more) since. I have used the Primavera Knowledge Base / Tech support for both since then. I continue to be able to access support for both.
This is the way it should be. If Primavera tried to restrict my use or access to tech support for either, I would be very unhappy. I consider that it costs a lot to renew annual maintenance and I expect Primavera Systems to provide suuport to me for as long as I renew maintenance and they continue to support P3. With a large proportion of their user base still using P3, Primavera would be most unwise to withdraw support.
The situation is analogous to the changeover from Version 5.1 for DOS to P3WIN 1.0. Many of us kept using the DOS version until the was clear evidence that the Windows version was superior.
P3e is not expected to match the planning and schedulling features of P3 3.1 until version 4.0 comes out around March/April next year. Primavera then has to wait until the majority of their user base migrates to P3e before ceasing to support P3 3.1. I suspect that time is at least 2 years away.
Colin Cropley - Victorian Primavera User Group Chairperson and website administrator Australian & New Zealand Primavera User Groups website (www.anzpug.org)
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
To my understanding, Primavera has stated that existing P3 licenses that get upgraded to P3e may “overlap” the license period for a certain time. I do not remember what that time period is (you should as Primavera.) Once that time period is over (I am guessing that it is less than 90 days,) your P3 license is no longer valid. I don’t believe that anything bad will happen to your P3 program (I could be wrong on this.)

After this time, having P3 loaded on your computer will be a violation of US Copyright law. You will not receive any further support from Primavera on P3 issues (although I doubt that they would shun you questions about P3 issues.) If you wish to run both P3 and P3e, you are supposed to buy a new copy of P3e to go with your existing license for P3.

I do not work for Primavera. If you want to be sure of the facts, then I suggest that you ask Primavera this question instead of strangers.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
It is my understanding that P3e has slight but important differences from P3 and that generally data is best ported one way to P3e. Ie. once you move to P3e, it may be difficult to move back to P3. Perhaps someone who has made the transition can shed more light on the subject...

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software