Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Effect of relationships on Hammock activities?

9 replies [Last post]
Pranab Kumar Deb
User offline. Last seen 2 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,
What is the effect of connecting activities with a Hammock activity both WBS and with SS and FF with a group of activities ?
regards
deb

Replies

Pranab Kumar Deb
thanks dieter this is what i was looking for
regards
deb
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Deb,
as a hammock’s duration is totally depending on its driving activities, it can’t drive others.
Hopefully I understood your task correctly. I would suggest that you’ll create a milestone, driven by all relevant activities which would be predecessor for the first activity of the membrane’s subcontractor.

Regards

Dieter
Pranab Kumar Deb
Hello Anoon/Alex/Dev/Dieter,
Thanks for all your informations , but my questions was really different , i wanted to know if i connect some subordinate activities to the Hammock then there is virtually no effect on the subordinate activities. But that really doesnt mean that hammock doesnt have any significance , some of the costs like supervision etc which run through the project i put on a hammock Called Supervison etc , so while it has a lots of benefits but it wont help us to schedule the subsequent activity in a complex network.
Let me brief you about my requirement , i have a project where there are 10 types of roofing system, now some of the ingredient items of this separate system are same i.e 1.
(EPDM WATER PROOF MEMBRANE GLUED TO
MIN 100mm R20 RIGID INSULATION
2 PLY MOPPED AIR BARRIER MEMBRANE
10 mm EXTERIOR PLYWOOD SHEATHING
WOOD SLEEPERS TO PROVIDE 3% SLOPE
10 mm EXTERIOR PLYWOOD SHEATHING
75 mm GALVANIZED STEEL DECK ON
STEEL BEAMS
STANDING SEAM "ARCHITECTURAL GALVALUME PLUS" SHEET ROOFING
100mm R20 RIGID INSULATION
2 PLY AIR BARRIER MEMBRANE
10 mm EXTERIOR PLY SHEATHING
75 mm GALVANIZED STEEL DECK ON
STEEL BEAMS (REFER STRUCT)

8 out of the 10 culminates into a EPDM water proofing membrane .
Now what i wanted to do is to bring in the subcontractor for the membrane when we have all the separate system of roofing were almost completd to take the membrane. so that the subby can come once finish the job in the elast time and leave , so i wanted a activity at the top saying
**** Roof Ready to Take Membrane
then i connect this activity which is a hammock to all subsequent activities.
Regards
Deb
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Deb,

as Alex I like to use them for management reporting and to assign resources with overhead activities, e.g. PM, Controlling... or costs, which can’t be assigned to a single activity.
Additional advantage: When the first activity with a ss-relation starts, the hammock automatically will start as well. When the last of the activities with ff finish, the hammock does finish as well.

Regards
Dieter
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
ok, it’s clear, thanks, but you need at least one predecessor and one successor to define its duration, otherwise it will run from the data date. anyway, i believe it’s useful.
Dev Tamboli
User offline. Last seen 10 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Not only level 1 and level 2 but hammock is also useful for big programme with thousands of activities in that case you can create one activity to get the duration of specific task.

for example you are making a complex of buildings and villas where you need to do landscaping wrk fo each bldg or villa seperately. so in the programme you will be having a landscaping works under each bldgs/villa but if you want to monitor lanscaping for the project as a whole then you can create on hammock activity relating SS with landscaping of first bldg and FF of with landscaping of last bldg. so you get the overall duration for landscaping of whole project.

i hope it is quite clear now.

regards,

Dev
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Gent

Hammock activity you can select random activity to link with a Hammok activity, however, summary activity you cannot specific which one to use.
In addition, in Hammock you can just link start date or finish date, it is useful for level 1 and 2 schedule

Alex
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
i supposed you don’t need Hammock; you can always summarize or roll-up the group of activities.

i’m not sure of the real purpose of Hammock (was it included just for a show?)
Pranab Kumar Deb
Hello all,
It seems there is no effect on the subordinate activities of an hammock on top of it . Please confirm.
regards
deb