Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Restoring from PRX File

6 replies [Last post]
Scott Carruba
User offline. Last seen 17 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hello, Everyone,

I have generally only done isolated, basic scheduling for the company I now work. I use SureTrak 3.0. I have recently received a PRX file from another company with whom our schedule needs to mesh.

I have followed the directions for Restoring the file, so I may make use of their Templates, yet I must have done something incorrect as it is not working properly.

Might anyone with more experience in this matter please provide assistance or step by step instructions on restoring such files so I may build my portion of the schedule using their parameters?

Thank you very much.

Replies

Dapo Ajayi
User offline. Last seen 12 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
You might want to try restoring your PRX under a another windows user profile to see if problem persists. If it does, well I’d recommended getting an OS update/upgrade and/or reinstalling Suretrak. Incase you don’t know the how, contact your systems administrator!

Good luck!
Scott Carruba
Ronald,

I followed your instructions exactly, and when I double-click on the file with the "EXE" extension, I get the same error,

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsfot Windows applications. Choose ’Close’ to terminate the application."

Daya,

Thanks for the offer. I do not think it is anything terribly sensitive, but since I received it from a client, I will have to clear that with a few others first.

Thanks to everyone for the help,
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Scott,

It is a little-know fact that SureTrack and P3 compressed files are actually self-extracting. Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to change the extension of the backup from “.PRX” to “.EXE” and then just double-click on it. The backup file will ask you to designate the directory to restore to and the rest is automatic. Then just open the schedule as normal. Good Luck!
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Scott,

If you don’t mind and the file doesn’t pose any threat to send it to outsiders, then you can send the file to plannerdaya@yahoo.com, i will try to restore and send it to you.

Regards

Daya
Scott Carruba
It does not say "Target not found".

I am at the ’Restore’ dialog window. If the ’Type’ is set to ’SureTrak’, nothing shows in ’Projects’. I presume this is normal because the original file is from P3.

If I switch to ’Project Groups’ or ’Concentric (P3)’, I can see several files with the Title of "Compressed". If I select ’Restore’ on anyone of these files, I get a Windows System error box:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsfot Windows applications. Choose ’Close’ to terminate the application."

Whether I choose ’Close’ or ’Ignore’, it locks up my SureTrak, forcing me to close the program.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you,
Dapo Ajayi
User offline. Last seen 12 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
In case the PRX file was restored and could not open saying "Target not found", remove targets by going to Overview in the Open Project tab and remove set targets before trying to open the restored backup.

Otherwise kindly provide EXACT details of problem(s) encountered with your PRX file